Kansas Loses To Baylor
Aug. 26, 2004
The University of Kansas tennis team (5-12 overall, 3-4 Big 12) fell to No. 44 Baylor (9-9 overall, 5-2 Big 12), 7-0 on Saturday, April 10 at Wood Valley Racquet Club in Topeka, Kan.
Kansas was without senior Courtney Steinbock for its second-straight dual. The Jayhawks dropped each of the three doubles matches and found themselves quickly down 1-0.
The Crimson and Blue looked to regroup in singles play. Senior Emily Haylock took No. 41 Carolin Walter to three sets, but couldn’t pull out the victory. Sophomore Luiza Loureiro also gave KU a chance for a point. After dropping the opening set 6-2, she roared back with a 7-5 second set win but ultimately fell in the third set super tiebreak 10-5.
“I thought we competed well today,” head coach Amy Hall said. “Give Baylor credit, they are a tough team. We will continue to get better when we get our full lineup back.”
The Jayhawks will be action on Saturday, April 17 at 1 p.m. against Nebraska in Lincoln. The team will then travel back to Lawrence for the Border War against Missouri on Sunday, April 18 at 3 p.m. That dual will mark the final home match for Kansas’ three seniors.
Baylor 7 vs. Kansas 0
1. No. 41 Carolin Walter (BU) def.Emily Haylock (KU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
2. Daniela Covello (BU) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Kristen Steinbock (KU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Brittany Brown (KU), 6-1, 7-5
5. Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Luiza Loureiro (KU), 6-2, 5-7, (10-5)
6. Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) def. Ashley Filberth (KU), 6-0, 6-1
1. No. 59 Walter/Potapova (BU) def. No. 53 K. Steinbock/Haylock (KU), 8-5
2. Zrustova/Covello (BU) def. Brown/Skoda (KU), 8-4
3. Mijic/Krchnakova (BU) def. Filberth/Loureiro (KU), 8-2