Kansas Beats Nebraska, 4-3
April 17, 2004
LINCOLN, Neb. – The University of Kansas tennis team (6-12 overall, 4-4 Big 12) defeated Nebraska (13-7 overall, 3-5 Big 12), 4-3 on Saturday, April 17 at Cather Pound Courts in Lincoln, Neb.
Kansas came out strong in doubles competition and picked up wins in two of the three matches earning them the doubles point. Seniors Courtney and Kristen Steinbock defeated Harvey/Ketmayura, 8-4 at the No. 1 position while at the No. 2 spot, senior Emily Haylock and freshman Ashley Filberth earned an 8-4 victory over Ostermann/Garcia.
The Crimson and Blue looked to keep the momentum going in singles play. At the No. 2 spot, Haylock picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win over Milena Schulz-Gartner, while Kristen Steinbock earned a 6-3, 6-1 win against Rose Ketmayura.
The dual was tied at 3-3 and the overall victory came down to the No. 5 singles match between freshman Brittany Brown and Nebraska’s Anna Oehme. Brown took the match in three sets, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 giving KU the win.
“I am so proud of the way our girls competed today,” head coach Amy Hall said. “I know I have said it before, but I really believe things are finally coming together for this team. We now have our full lineup back and are starting to play at the level we know we should be at.”
The Jayhawks will host the Border War against Missouri on Sunday, April 18 at 3 p.m at Robinson Courts in Lawrence. That dual will mark the final home match for Kansas’ three seniors.
Kansas 4 vs. Nebraska 3
1. Gitte Ostermann (NU) def. Courtney Steinbock (KU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Emily Haylock (KU) def. Milena Schulz-Gartner (NU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Leslie Harvey (NU) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Kristen Steinbock (KU) def. Rose Ketmayura (NU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Brittany Brown (KU) def. Anna Oehme (NU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
6. Katie Garcia (NU) def. Luiza Loureiro (KU), 7-6(5), 6-3
1. C Steinbock/K. Steinbock (KU) def. L. Harvey/Ketmayura (NU), 8-4
2. Haylock/Filberth (KU) def. Ostermann/Garcia (NU), 8-4
3. Oehme/Schulz-Gartner (NU) def. Skoda/Brown (KU), 9-8(2)