Kansas Tennis Loses At A&M
April 24, 2004
BRYAN, Texas – The University of Kansas tennis team (6-14 overall, 4-6 Big 12) fell to No. 17 Texas A&M (18-7 overall, 10-1 Big 12), 7-0 on Saturday, April 24 at the Bryan Tennis Center in Bryan, Texas.
The dual began with singles being played first. Kansas sophomore Christine Skoda came close to picking up a win but fell in three sets, 0-6, 6-0, 6-2 to Roberta Spencer at the No. 3 spot. The Jayhawks were unable to pick up any singles victories and went into doubles play down 6-0.
Senior sister duo, Courtney and Kristen Steinbock came away with the lone victory on the day for KU as they beat Roland/Walker, 8-2 at the No. 1 doubles position. The ‘Hawks fell in the other doubles matches and lost the doubles point and the dual, 7-0.
The Jayhawks will conclude their season against No. 11 Texas on Sunday, April 25 at Noon in Austin, Texas.
Texas A&M 7 vs. Kansas 0
1. Jessica Roland (A&M) def. Courtney Steinbock (KU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Helga Vieira (A&M) def. Emily Haylock (KU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Roberta Spencer (A&M) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 0-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Lauren Walker (A&M) def. Kristen Steinbock (KU), 7-6(1), 6-2
5. Nicki Mechem (A&M) def. Brittany Brown (KU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Anna Lubinsky (A&M) def. Luiza Loureiro (KU), 7-5, 6-2
1. C Steinbock/K. Steinbock (KU) def. Roland/Walker (A&M), 8-2
2. Spencer/Vieira (A&M) def. Haylock/Filberth (KU), 8-0
3. Lubinsky/Mechem (A&M) def. Skoda/Brown (KU), 8-1