Kansas Tennis Beats Texas Tech, 4-1
April 29, 2004
NORMAN, Okla. – The No. 9 seeded University of Kansas tennis team (7-15 overall) defeated No. 8 seed Texas Tech (11-10 overall), 4-1 in the first round of the Big 12 Conference Tournament at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman, Okla.
Kansas began the dual in strong fashion. The Jayhawks took the doubles point by winning two matches. At No. 1, seniors Courtney Steinbock and Kristen Steinbock defeated Browning/Brooks, 8-4 and at the No. 3 position, sophomore Christine Skoda and freshman Brittany Brown defeated Wagley/Gocheva, 8-4.
The Jayhawks needed just three wins to secure the victory. At the No. 1 spot, C. Steinbock beat Irina Tereschenko, 6-2, 7-6(3). At the No. 3 position, Skoda defeated Tara Browning, 7-6, 6-3 and at the No. 6 spot, sophomore Luiza Loureiro picked up her first win of the season with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Hristiyana Gocheva.
“This was a big win for us,” head coach Amy Hall said. “We had a disappointing loss to them earlier this season and it was good to see the girls come back and refocus on every point we had. Texas is a very good team, but we will take it point by point and see what happens.”
KU will play No. 1 seeded Texas on Friday at 9 a.m. in Norman, Okla. Livestats will be available via www.kuathletics.com.
Kansas 4 vs. 1
1. Courtney Steinbock (KU) def. Irina Tereschenko (TT), 6-2, 7-6(3)
2. Emily Haylock (KU) vs. Kendall Brooks (TT), 7-6, 3-6, Did Not Finish
3. Christine Skoda (KU) def. Tara Browning (TT), 7-6, 6-3
4. Kristen Steinbock (KU) vs. Lakann Wagley (TT), 6-4, 2-6, 3-4, Did Not Finish
5. Katja Kovacic (TT) def. Brittany Brown (KU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Luiza Loureiro (KU) def. Hristiyana Gocheva (TT), 6-2, 6-3
1. C. Steinbock/K. Steinbock (KU) def. Brooks/Browning (TT), 8-4
2. Haylock/Filberth (KU) vs. Tereschenko/Kovacic (TT), Did Not Finish
3. Skoda/Brown (KU) def. Wagley/Gocheva (TT), 8-4