Jayhawk Tennis Falls To Texas, 4-0
April 30, 2004
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – The No. 9 seeded University of Kansas tennis team (7-16 overall) fell to No. 1 seed Texas (21-4 overall), 4-0 in the second round of the Big 12 Conference Tournament at the Woodlake Racquet Club in Oklahoma City, Okla.
The Jayhawks looked to pick up the doubles point to begin the dual. Kansas battled in for each point but fell short, losing the first two doubles matches and the doubles point.
KU needed four singles victories in order to secure the upset over the Longhorns. The ‘Hawks were unable to pick up a win and fell in the first three matches.
The dual was moved to Oklahoma City due to weather and the match time was delayed 30 minutes.
“We came out very strong in doubles,” head coach Amy Hall said. “We had every oppurtunity to clinch the doubles point, but Texas raised their level of play due to the pressure we forced on them. I am very proud of these girls and how hard they worked this season. I want to thank the seniors for their four years of dedication to Kansas tennis.”
The Jayhawks ended the season in ninth place overall in the Big 12 regular season for the second-straight season.
Texas 4 vs. Kansas 0
1. Courtney Steinbock (KU) vs. Petra Dizdar (UT), Did Not Finish
2. Katie Ruckert def. Emily Haylock (KU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Mia Marovic (UT) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Kristen Steinbock (KU) vs. Kendra Strohm (UT), Did Not Finish
5 Brittany Brown (KU) vs. Kelly Baritot (UT), Did Not Finish
6. Ristine Olsen (UT) def. Luiza Loureiro (KU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Ruckert/Strohm (UT) def. C. Steinbock/K. Steinbock (KU), 8-5
2. Dizdar/Marovic (UT) def. Haylock/Filberth (KU), 8-4
3. Skoda/Brown (KU) vs. Baritot/Olsen, 7-6 KU, Did Not Finish