Jayhawks and Sun Devils Play to 2-2 Draw

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Senior Whitney Berry netted the game-tying goal from 40 yards out in the 85th minute as Kansas and the Arizona State Sun Devils played to a 2-2 draw Sunday afternoon at the Jayhawk Soccer Complex.

The tie moves KU to 4-1-1 and puts an end to their three-game winning streak, while the Sun Devils also notch their first draw of the year and now sit at 1-3-1.

Berry, who hails from Wichita, Kan., knocked in her second goal of the season with just five minutes remaining in regulation. The 40-yard bomb came off a free kick assist from junior Amy Grow and found the net just one minute after ASU claimed the lead on a free kick goal from freshman Christina Schedel.

The Berry goal sent Kansas into its third overtime match of the year where neither team was able to find the game-winner. The Jayhawks move to 1-1-1 in overtime contests this season.

For the second-consecutive match the Jayhawks got on the board early on the shoulders of an Ashley Williams goal. The freshman knocked in her fifth of the season with a cross from fellow freshman Courtney Dickerson, her first assist of the year.

As it had in the previous three shutouts, the Jayhawk defense stayed stubborn and didn’t allow an opposing goal over the next 70 minutes of play. Senior goalkeeper Kat Liebetrau collected a season-high five saves in that span and had the Jayhawks on the verge of their fourth-consecutive shutout victory.

In the 81st minute however, the Jayhawks were unable to clear the ball out of their own box giving freshman Cali Farquharson an opportunity to head the ball into the KU net, which she took.

It wasn’t long after the ASU equalizer that the Sun Devils scored the go-ahead goal in the 85th minute. Schedel took a free kick from 30 yards out which found the top corner of the KU net, forcing the Jayhawks to play from behind for the first time in two weeks.

After Berry’s heroics just a minute later the match moved into extra time, where Kansas had several attacking opportunities, most of which came in the second overtime. The Sun Devils were forced to play a person short after Schedel was given a red card following a hard foul on KU senior forward Nicole Chrisopulos. A 10-yard shot in the final minutes from Williams was snagged by Sun Devil goalkeeper Chandler Morris keeping the game deadlocked, where it would eventually end.

Kansas used a balanced offensive attack which saw three Jayhawks record three shots with Berry and Williams putting two of their shots on goal.

The Jayhawks were outshot for the first time this season, recording 14 to Arizona State’s 17, however KU proved to be more accurate with its attempts, placing 50 percent of them on goal. The match also proved to be a physical one as both teams were called for a combined 31 fouls.

The Jayhawks prepare for another two-game weekend as they return to Jayhawk Soccer Complex Friday for a 5 p.m., matchup with the Missouri State Bears. Fans can watch and listen to Friday’s match on AT&T Jayhawk All-Access and follow on twitter at KU_Soccer.

KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.