Kansas Postgame Notes vs. South Florida
Sept. 12, 2008
Kansas Football Game Notes
#19 South Florida 37, #13 Kansas 34
Raymond James Stadium – Tampa, Fla.
Sept. 12, 2008
The Kansas Loss…
- Stopped a four-game road winning streak.
- Marked just the third loss in KU’s last 20 games.
- Made Mangino 39-37 in his career, including 21-7 in non-conference games.
Kansas Game Notes
- Kansas scored a touchdown on its first possession for the first time since Oct. 21, 2006, when then-redshirt freshman QB Kerry Meier scored on a 12-yard rush at Baylor. Kansas lost that game against Baylor 36-35, and since that game own a 17-3 record.
- Junior WR Kerry Meier hauled in a school-record tying 11 catches. The most recent player to catch 11 passes was Dexton Fields against Iowa State in 2007.
- Sophomore WR Johnathan Wilson scored his first career touchdown on a 36-yard pass play to open the scoring in the first quarter.
- Wilson hauled in a 51-yard reception on a pass play midway through the second quarter that represented KU’s longest offensive play of the season. The play helped set up KU’s second field goal.
- After three games, Wilson has hauled in 20 catches for 276 yards and two touchdowns. Prior to the 2008 season, his career totals were 12 catches for 157 yards and no touchdowns.
- Wilson’s 10 catches are tied for the second-highest total in a single game by a KU player. Five players have recorded 11 catches in a game including Meier in this game.
- Junior QB Todd Reesing finished the game 34-of-51 for 373 yards and three touchdowns. Along the way he:
– Passed Mike Norseth (363) and David Jaynes (389) for third place on the KU career completions list with 393.
– Passed Bill Whittemore (568) and Dylen Smith (569) for sixth place on the KU career pass attempts list with 611.
– Moved ahead of Chip Hilleary (4,598) and Mike Norseth (4,677) for fourth place on the KU career passing yards list with 4,741 yards.
– Tied Whittemore for first place with his 13th career 200+ yard passing game. It extended his school record streak to eight straight games.
- Reesing picked up his first rushing touchdown of the season on a 4-yard keeper late in the second quarter. It was the sixth rushing TD of his career.
- South Florida scored the first touchdown against the Kansas defensive unit of the 2008 season on a 28 yard run by Matt Grothe with 2:14 left in the first half. The KU defense was able to hold its opponents out of the endzone for the first 147 minutes and 46 seconds of the season. (FIU scored a touchdown on a punt return on special teams).
- Redshirt freshman CB Isiah Barfield and sophomore DT Jamal Greene each made their first career starts.
- True freshman TE Tim Biere made his first career catch.
- The announced attendance of 58,755 was the largest crowd for the Jayhawks of the season.