Jayhawks to Host Louisiana Tech on Family Weekend
Sept. 14, 2005
LAWRENCE, Kan. — The Kansas (2-0) football team plays the last of three consecutive home contests to open the 2005 season, as the team hosts Louisiana Tech (0-1) on Saturday. Kickoff against the Bulldogs is set for 6:05 p.m. in KU’s Memorial Stadium. Kansas Athletics is asking each fan attending the game to “bring a buck” for the American Red Cross Gulf Coast Disaster Fund, which benefits victims of Hurricane Katrina. Donations will be taken at each gate of Memorial Stadium from 4-6 p.m.
The Jayhawks are coming off a 36-8 win over Appalachian State, while La Tech looks for its first win of the year after falling at Florida 41-3 in its season-opener on Sept. 10. A win against the Bulldogs would give the Jayhawks a 3-0 record for the first time since the 1997 season when the team defeated UAB, TCU and Missouri to start the year.
Against Appalachian State last Saturday, junior running back Jon Cornish carried the offensive load as he collected his first career 100-yard rushing game. The Westminster, B.C., native scored a career-high three touchdowns and averaged 10.3 yards per carry against the Mountaineers. He is currently tied for first in the Big 12 with an average of 12.0 points per game. As a team, the Jayhawks average 204.0 rushing yards per contest — the highest average since the 1995 squad collected 206.9 yards per game on the ground.
Louisiana Tech, located in Ruston, La., and a member of the Western Athletic Conference, heads to Lawrence for the second time in school history for a meeting against Kansas. The Bulldogs dropped their season-opener on Saturday at Florida 41-3 and will look to rebound in their second road game of the year.
– KU Family Weekend: All families are welcome to Lawrence for the entire weekend to partake in several different campus activities, including the game.
– Faculty & Staff Appreciation: $15 reserved tickets for KU employees and their immediate family members, with a maximum of four tickets at this rate. Faculty and Staff can take advantage of this offer by contacting the Ticket office at (785) 864-3141 or on gameday at any Memorial Stadium ticket window. They will need to be prepared to show their KU ID card.
– Junior Jayhawks: All Junior Jayhawks will receive one reserved ticket to the game when they present their membership card at any ticket booth at Memorial Stadium. Family members can purchase additional tickets for $25.
– Big Brothers/Big Sisters Night: All Big Brothers and Big Sisters can purchase two tickets for just $35. Contact the KU ticket office at 800-34-HAWKS for more information.
– Junior Spirit Clinic: The KU Spirit Squad will hold its annual Spirit Night and clinic. This package costs $40, which includes a clinic, t-shirt and tailgate party. The participants (ages 6 & up) cheer on the Jayhawks on the North Bowl track. Family members can purchase additional tickets for $25 at the North Bowl ticket window outside of gates 25 and 26. Contact Cat Jarzemkoski at 785-864-3002 or 785-691-5394 for more information.
Other Game Promotions
– Constitution Day Commemoration (Pregame)
– Jayhawk Hot Air Balloon will be displayed on the Hill – weather permitting (Pregame)
– TIAA-Cref Excellence in Teaching Award (1st Quarter Break)
– National Merit Recognition (Halftime)
– Ellsworth Medallion Presentation (3rd Quarter Break)
– SBC is sponsoring a $25,000 contest