Game No. 4 - No. 20/19 Kansas Football Hosts Undefeated USM Saturday
Sept. 21, 2009
Press Conference Quotes
GAME NO. 4 — VS. SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009, 11 a.m. (Central)
Kivisto Field at Memorial Stadium (50,071)
Radio: Jayhawk Network
(Bob Davis, David Lawrence, Nate Bukaty, Bob Newton [producer])
(Joel Meyers, Dave Lapham,
Live Stats: www.kuathletics.com
QUICKLY — No. 20 AP/No. 19 Coaches Kansas (3-0, 0-0 Big 12) plays its second of three straight home games when it hosts Southern Mississippi (3-0, 1-0 Conference USA) on Saturday, Sept. 26 in a game televised nationally on FSN at 11 a.m.
– KU is kicking off before noon for the second straight week. Last year the Jayhawks started six of their 13 games before noon.
– KU is looking to start a season 4-0 for just the eighth time since 1920 (2007, 1995, 1981, 1976, 1968, 1952, 1930) (started 4-0 19 times between 1890 and 1920).
– Kansas is trying to go undefeated in non-conference play for the third time in the last five years (2005 and 2007).
– Kansas is playing four of its first five games of the season at home and only has one road game (at UTEP) before playing at Colorado on Oct. 17.
– KU is 25-4 at home since the beginning of the 2005 season.
– KU has won 19 consecutive non-conference home games since losing the 2003 season opener to
– KU has won 19 of its last 21 games against non-Big 12 Conference foes, including three bowl victories.
– KU is 26-7 in its last 33 games overall dating back to late in 2006.
– KU is 23-7 in the month of September in the Mark Mangino era.
– All four of KU’s non-conference games are being televised for the first time in school history.
– All four of KU’s non-conference games are first-time meetings with the opponents.
KU-USM SERIES — Kansas and Southern Mississippi will be meeting for the first time in school history. KU is meeting all four of its non-conference opponents this season for the first time.
KU VS. CONFERENCE USA — Kansas is meeting a Conference USA opponent for the second time this season as the Jayhawks won 49-7 at UTEP on Sept. 12. The Jayhawks are now 17-9 against current members of the league all-time with a 4-0 mark vs. UAB, 3-0 vs. Houston, 1-0 vs. Rice, Tulane and UTEP and 5-5 vs. Tulsa. Before this season the last time KU played a Conference USA team was a 42-13 win against Houston in the 2005 Fort Worth Bowl. The last previous regular season meeting before this year was a 21-3 win against Tulsa to open the 2004 season.
KU-USM CONNECTIONS — Kansas does not list any players on its roster from the state of Mississippi… USM OL Kyle Burkhart is from Kinsley, Kan. and played at Dodge City (Kan.) CC, while DL De’Anthony Bandy is from Kansas City, Mo… USM Head Coach Larry Fedora is familiar with the Big 12 after spending time as an assistant coach at Baylor (1990-96 [the Big 12 was formed in 1996]) and Oklahoma State (2005-07)… KU was 1-1 against OSU when Fedora was there and did not play against Baylor… USM associate HC/OC Darrell Wyatt was an associate HC/OC/WR coach at Kansas from 1997-2000… USM OL coach Chris Kapilovic was a graduate assistant at Kansas from 1999-2000.
The KU-USM Game Was Officially Soldout On Monday.