Northern Illinois 30, Kansas 23
Sept. 22, 2012
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 30, KANSAS 23
SEPT. 22, 2012 – DeKALB, ILL.
- Kansas is 1-2 against Northern Illinois all-time.
CAPTAINS: Dayne Crist (QB), Tanner Hawkinson (OT), Toben Opurum (DE/LB), Tunde Bakare (LB)
DEBUTS: Charles Brooks (TE)
FIRST TIME STARTERS: Anthony McDonald (LB), Taylor Cox (HB)
- For the third week in a row, Kansas won the toss and elected to defer to the second half.
- The announced attendance was 18,374, which is the smallest crowd that KU has played in front of since a 2003 game at Wyoming (18,329).
- Senior WR D.J. Beshears had an 12-yard run in the first quarter, which marked his first carry from scrimmage this season. He also had a seven-yard run later in the game.
- Senior WR Christian Matthews carried for a six-yard gain out of the ‘Jayhawk’ formation in the second quarter. It was Matthews’ first rush of the season.
- Matthews completed a shovel pass to James Sims in the game. He became the first Jayhawk other than Dayne Crist to complete a pass this year.
- Matthews recorded an 11-yard run in the fourth quarter, which was the longest run of his career.
- Junior HB James Sims scored KU’s first touchdown of the game on a 26-yard run. It marked Sims’ longest run since a 56-yard run against Oklahoma last season.
- Sims’ touchdown broke a streak of six-straight quarters that KU had gone without a touchdown.
- Sims rushed for two scores in the game, giving him his first multi-score game since recording two touchdowns against Northern Illinois last season.
- Sims two rushing touchdowns give him 18 for his career, which ties him for 14th in school history. He needs just one more to crack the top 10.
- Sims rushed for 91 yards in the game, his highest total since rushing for 110 yards against NIU last season.
- Sophomore HB Tony Pierson had three receptions in the game, giving him nine over the last two contests. Prior to last Saturday, Pierson had eight catches in his career.
- Kansas had seven different players with carries Saturday, the most since the Texas A&M game last season.
- Junior S Dexter Linton recorded a pass break up in the second quarter, which marked the first of his career.
- Linton’s eight tackles were a career high.
- Sophomore LB Ben Heeney collected 12 tackles, which set a new career high.
- Senior LB Anthony McDonald recorded 11 tackles in the game, which sets a new career high.
- McDonald also tallied his first TFL in the third quarter.
- Junior CB Tyler Patmon returned an interception 54 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter, marking KU’s first INT return for a touchdown since the Missouri game last season.
- The interception was Patmon’s second of the season and KU’s sixth of the season.
- The Jayhawks have now forced 13 turnovers this season. Heading into the week, KU was tied for the nation’s lead in turnovers forced.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- Junior PK Ron Doherty kicked a 26-yard field goal in the first quarter. It marked his fifth-straight game with a field goal, dating back to last season.