Postgame Notes - Oklahoma State 70, Kansas 28
Oct. 8, 2011
No. 6/7 OKLAHOMA STATE 70, KANSAS 28
October 8, 2011
- Oklahoma State now leads the all-time series 30-29 with three ties.
- Today’s attendance: 58,030.
- Kansas wore white uniforms tops with blue pants and blue helmets. It was the first time the Jayhawks used this uniform combination since the Baylor game last year. It also marked the first time the team wore white uniforms this season.
- Oklahoma State alumn T. Boone Pickens held the opening coin toss.
- Kansas received the opening coin toss for the fifth-straight week, however Oklahoma State won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half.
- Oklahoma State has now won seven of the last eight meetings between the schools, which the one Jayhawk win coming in 2007 in Stillwater.
- Senior TE Tim Biere recorded a 35-yard reception on KU’s first drive, which marked the longest of his career.
- Biere recorded a touchdown catch on KU’s first drive, marking his first touchdown catch of the season. He became the 13th different Jayhawk to score a touchdown this season.
- Biere collected a career high seven catches for 93 yards, which both set career highs.
- Junior WR Kale Pick collected five receptions, which set a new career high.
- Sophomore RB James Sims scored on a 19-yard touchdown run in the third quarter, giving him a team-high five for the season.
- Senior TE Ted McNulty made an 11-yard catch in the third quarter, marking his first reception of the season.
- Freshman WR JaCorey Shepherd recorded a 68-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter, which marked the longest of his career. Shepherd has touchdown catches of 68, 56 and 48 yards this season.
- The 68-yard completion was the longest of sophomore QB Jordan Webb’s career, and the longest pass play by the Jayhawks since a 74-yard pass play in the Missouri game in 2009.
- Webb ended the game completing 25-of-36 passes for a career-best 316 yards and two touchdowns.
- It marked the first 300-yard passing game by a Jayhawk since Todd Reesing threw for 498 yards in 2009 against Missouri.
- Sophomore WR Ricki Herrod recorded an eight-yard catch in the fourth quarter, marking the first reception of his career.
- Freshman RB Tony Pierson scored a fourth quarter touchdown on a 31-yard run, marking his second of the season and first since the season-opener against McNeese State.
- Junior DE Toben Opurum recorded a nine-yard sack, marking his second sack of the season.
- Kansas allowed 35 points in the first quarter, marking the most points allowed in a quarter by a KU team since 1996 when Nebraska scored 35 in the second quarter.
- OSU’s 56 first-half points mark the most ever allowed by the Jayhawks in one half since at least 1948.
- OSU’s 70 points scored were the most by a KU opponent since Oklahoma scored 71 against the Jayhawks in 1987.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- Sophomore P Ron Doherty recorded a 59-yard punt in the first quarter, which was a career long and the longest by a Jayhawk since Alonso Rojas had a 62-yard punt at Nebraska last season.
- Nick Sizemore blocked a punt in the second half, which marked KU’s first blocked punt since the Insight Bowl in 2008.