Oct. 24, 2009
Oklahoma 35, Kansas 13
October 24, 2009
– Oklahoma leads the all-time series with a record of 68-27-6, including a 31-14-3 advantage in games played in Lawrence. The Sooners have won six straight in the series.
– KU is now 17-6 playing as a ranked team in the Mark Mangino era.
– The Jayhawks 290 yards of total offense was its lowest output of the season, ending a streak of eight straight games with at least 400 yards of total offense. The previous low was 423 yards of total offense against Colorado last week.
– By scoring 13 points against Oklahoma, KU ended a streak of eight consecutive games with at least 30 points scored.
– KU committed three turnovers to set a season high in giveaways. The Jayhawks turned the ball over twice against UTEP, Southern Miss and Colorado.
– K Jacob Branstetter kicked a 57-yard field goal with two seconds remaining in the first half, the longest field goal of his career and tied for the fourth longest in KU history. It was the longest since 2001 when Johnny Beck hit a 59-yarder. The longest in KU history was a 61-yarder by Dan Eichloff against Ball State in 1992. Branstetter’s previous long was a 43-yarder last week against Colorado. The kick is also tied for sixth longest in Big 12 history.
– Branstetter also recorded his first punt of the season in the second quarter. Kansas lined up for a 49-yard field goal attempt and snapped the ball directly to Branstetter whose pooch punt was downed at the three-yard line.
– Reesing’s 224 yards passing were his second lowest total this season. He threw for 208 yards in the season opener against Northern Colorado.
– RB Jake Sharp’s 56-yard reception on a shuttle pass from Reesing near the end of the first quarter was Sharp’s longest play from scrimmage this season. His previous long was a 30-yard rush against UTEP.
– WR Dezmon Briscoe has caught at least four passes in 10 straight games and at least two in 25 consecutive games. Briscoe finished the game with seven receptions for 60 yards.
– WR Kerry Meier has caught at least four passes in 10 straight games and at least two in 28 consecutive games. Meier finished the game with eight receptions for 54 yards.
– DB Ryan Murphy recorded his second interception of the season when he picked of a Landry Jones pass late in the first half. His other interception this year came against Southern Miss.
– DB Justin Thornton forced his first fumble of the year in the fourth quarter. DE Jake Laptad recovered the loose ball. It was his first fumble recover in 2009.