Jayhawks Dominate Huskers, 40-15

Nov. 5, 2005

Final Stats | Quotes | Notes | Photo Gallery


The streak is over. In front of 51,750 people, a new attendance record for Memorial Stadium, the University of Kansas (5-4, 2-4) defeated Nebraska (5-4, 2-4), 40-15, Saturday. The victory, in the 100th meeting between the two schools, saw the Jayhawks snap Nebraska’s 36-game winning streak in the series. <?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>

Behind a balanced offensive attack, the Jayhawks totaled 428 yards of offense, gaining 213 yards rushing and 215 yards passing. Senior quarterback Jason Swanson finished 16-of-27 for 215 yards and two touchdown passes.

Senior wide receiver Mark Simmons was on the receiving end of both scores, finishing the game with six catches for 100 yards. Capitalizing on the holes created by the offensive line, Green carried the ball 22 times for 100 yards and Cornish carried 10 times for 100 yards and a touchdown.

It marked the first time since 1980 that Kansas had two 100-yard rushers and a 100-yard receiver. Green also caught four passes for 46 yards and finished with 146 all-purpose yards.

The Jayhawk defense limited the Cornhusker offense to 138 total yards. The Kansas rush defense, which entered the game ranked second in the nation, held the Cornhuskers to 21 yards on 22 carries. Nebraska found little success through the air as well, finishing with 117 yards passing.

Senior defensive end Charlton Keith led the team with eight total tackles, three tackles for a loss and one sack. Senior linebacker Brandon Perkins and junior defensive tackle Eric Butler also added a sack as the defense finished with eight tackles for loss.

The Jayhawk offense struck early, when Swanson connected with Simmons on a 40-yard touchdown pass on the Jayhawks’ first possession. The score was Kansas’ longest touchdown reception of the season and extended Simmons’ streak of consecutive games with a reception to 33.

Kansas’ special teams also contributed to the scoring in the first quarter. Senior cornerback Ronnie Amadi blocked a Nebraska punt and senior linebacker Darren Rus returned the ball 20 yards for a touchdown to put the Jayhawks ahead 14-2.

The Jayhawks added to their lead in the second quarter when sophomore kicker Scott Webb connected on a 21-yard field goal to make the score 17-2 with 4:46 left in the first half. The 13-play drive chewed up 72 yards and was kept alive by a key third down completion from Swanson to Green for 30 yards.

In the third quarter, the Jayhawks responded quickly after a Nebraska score when Cornish galloped for a 72-yard touchdown run with 5:35 left in the third quarter to put the Jayhawks ahead 24-15. The run was the longest play of the season for the Jayhawks.

Later in the quarter, after sophomore punter Kyle Tucker pinned the Cornhuskers deep inside their own territory, Butler sacked Nebraska quarterback Zac Taylor in the end zone for a safety. It was the Jayhawks’ second safety of the season and put Kansas ahead 26-14.

On the ensuing possession, Swanson connected with a diving Simmons on a 12-yard touchdown pass. On the 12-play, 75-yard drive, the Jayhawks were three for three on third down, including a 36-yard reception by Simmons.

The scoring concluded when senior linebacker Kevin Kane intercepted Taylor and took it 40 yards for a touchdown with 5:23 remaining in the game.

Next week, the Jayhawks travel to Austin to take on #2 Texas. The game will be televised on ABC and kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m.