KU Tops Iowa State in Overtime

Nov. 26, 2005

Final Stats | Quotes | Notes | Photo Gallery


Sophomore Scott Webb kicked a 34-yard field goal in the first overtime to give the University of Kansas a 24-21 victory over Iowa State Saturday at Memorial Stadium. With the victory, KU (6-5) becomes bowl eligible for the second time in the last three years.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>

The Jayhawks tied the game with 1:05 remaining in regulation. Senior quarterback Brian Luke – who replaced Jason Swanson after he was forced to leave the game in the fourth quarter – commanded a four-play 58-yard scoring drive capped off by a 15-yard touchdown pass to freshman Dexton Fields. The touchdown grab was Fields’ first career reception.

Kansas stopped Iowa State on its last drive of regulation to force the fourth overtime in KU history and the first at Memorial Stadium.

Luke finished the game 9-for-12 with 82 yards and a touchdown pass and run. Junior runningback Jon Cornish had 70 of KU’s 123 rushing yards in the game.

KU got on the scoreboard first when Webb capped a 13-play, 56-yard drive with a career-long 48-yard field goal with 5:04 left in the first quarter. The key play of the drive came on third-and-eight when Swanson hooked up with senior Mark Simmons on a 14-yard pass and catch to keep the drive alive.

Iowa State countered Webb’s field goal with a scoring drive on its next possession. Quarterback Bret Meyer found junior Jon Davis in the end zone on a four-yard passing play to put ISU ahead, 7-3, with 44 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

The Cyclones first drive of the second half resulted in another Meyer touchdown pass. The sophomore found Todd Blythe down the middle of the field for a 27-yard touchdown reception.

Webb added his second field goal of the game with 3:56 remaining in the third quarter to pull KU to within eight points of the Cyclones. Swanson and Simmons hooked up again on a third and long to keep the drive alive allowing Webb to convert his field goal from 33-yards out.

With ISU driving late in the third quarter, Aqib Talib intercepted a Meyer pass and returned it 45-yards into ISU territory. The return was KU’s longest of the season and the interception snapped Meyer’s school record streak of 155-consecutive passes without throwing a pick.

On their first drive of the fourth quarter, Simmons gave the Jayhawks field position at their 44-yard line with an 18-yard punt return. On the first play of the drive, Swanson threw to sophomore Brandon McAnderson for a 17-yard reception. The reception was a career-long for McAnderson.

Swanson then hooked up with Derek Fine on a 25-yard pass to the ISU 10-yard line. Luke replaced Swanson who was knocked down by a Cyclone defender on the play and was forced to leave the game.

Luke scored on a quarterback sneak on fourth and goal from the one-yard line. The ball was initially marked short of the goal line but after the officials reviewed the play it was over-ruled, giving Luke his second rushing touchdown of the season.

After the touchdown, KU elected to try and tie the game with a two-point conversion. Luke rolled right and threw the ball across the field to a wide-open Fine who hauled in the conversion, tying the game, 14-14.

The Cyclones responded with a nine-play, 87-yard touchdown drive. Ryan Kock capped the drive with a one-yard plunge with 8:41 remaining in the game to give ISU a 21-14 lead.