MATCH PREVIEW: at Iowa State
LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas volleyball continues Big 12 play in Ames, Iowa against Iowa State Wednesday, Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. The Jayhawks opened Big 12 action against then-No. 2 Baylor Sept. 28, falling in three-sets to the Lady Bears.
The Kansas attack is led by Zoe Hill, who has a team-high 2.41 kills per set and has one more kill (89) on the season than fellow senior Ashley Smith, who is second on the team with 88 kills (2.38 kills per set).
Aiding the Kansas attack is Sara Nielsen, who boasts a team-high 331 assists (8.95 A/S) and is a close second behind Allie Nelson in digs (69).
Nelson, Kansas’ libero through all 11 matches, averages 3.76 assists per set and has a team-high 139 digs this season. The senior from Chicago, Illinois continues her climb through the KU record book and ranks 10th in career digs with 1,068.
Fans can watch the match on FSN or listen on the Jayhawk Radio Network with Nick Springer calling the action.
|Date/Time:||October 2 / 7 p.m.|
|Watch||Fox Sports Network|
|Listen||Jayhawk Radio Network|
BIG 12 OPENER
- Kansas dropped its match against then-No. 2 Baylor Saturday, Sept. 28 in the Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena in three sets. Rachel Langs led the way with seven kills, while Sara Nielsen logged 20 assists. Allie Nelson finished with a team-high nine digs.
BIG 12 STATISTICS (9/30/2019)
- Kansas ranks second in the Big 12 in blocks per set (2.68) and has 98 blocks this season.
- Kailea Carrier (28 | 1.22 blocks per set) and Rachel Langs (28 | 1.22 blocks per set) are tied for third in the Big 12 standings in blocks per set.
- Allie Nelson is sixth in the Big 12 in digs per set (3.76) and has 139 digs this season.
OPPONENT PREVIEW: IOWA STATE
- Iowa State enters the Big 12 contest with a 9-4 record and a 0-1 Big 12 record, which includes a loss at No. 6 Texas. The ISU attack is led by Eleanor Holthaus, who averages a team-high 3.08 kills per set (160 total). Annia Hatch 2.88 kills per set (144 total) and Josie Herbest 2.67 kills per set (136 total) are second and third, respectively.
- Piper Mauck aids the Cyclone attack and is the primary setter for in 2019, averaging 10.40 assists per set (489 total).
- The ISU defense boasts four Cyclones that have totaled over 100 digs this season, including team leader Izzy Enna (2.94 digs per set | 153 total). Avery Rhodes has a team-high 61 total blocks, and is the team leader with 1.17 blocks per set.
2018 VS. IOWA STATE
- In the two matches last season between the two Big 12 schools, Iowa State beat Kansas in each contest.
- The final match between the schools in 2018 featured then-junior Ashley Smith leading the Kansas attack with 14 kills, while a trio of Jayhawks finished with a team-high 10 digs.