🏐 MATCH PREVIEW: at No. 1 Texas
LAWRENCE, Kan. – After beating Kansas State in the Lawrence edition of the Dillons Sunflower Showdown, Kansas travels to Austin, Texas to take on No. 1 Texas in Gregory Gymnasium Saturday, Nov. 26 at 7 p.m.
The Jayhawks last played Nov. 16 against Kansas State and earned the four-set victory over the Wildcats. Kansas was led by Rachel Langs, who finished with a team-high 13 kills and seven blocks. Langs’ 13 kills were a season-high for the sophomore from Fairview, Texas.
Sara Nielsen continues her climb through the Kansas record book and has amassed 757 assists this season, which ranks 15th in program history for career assists. Nielsen finished with 44 assists against the Wildcats.
No. 1 Texas last played against No. 3 Baylor Wednesday, Nov. 20 in Waco, Texas. The Longhorns dropped the five-set, back-and-forth battle against the Bears and finished with three Longhorns with double-digit kills.
Fans can watch the match on the Longhorn Network or listen to the match on the Jayhawk Radio Network.
|Date/Time:||Nov. 23 at 7 p.m.|
|Opponent||No. 1 Texas|
|Listen||Jayhawk Radio Network|
2018 vs TEXAS
- Kansas split the season series with Texas, beating the Longhorns in the first match of the season between the two Big 12 schools. KU knocked off then-No. 5 Texas in four sets on Oct. 10 in the Horejsi Family Athletics Center. Current Kansas senior Ashley Smith finished second on the team with 17 kills, while fellow senior Allie Nelson had a team-high 15 digs.
- In the second meeting, Texas captured a four-set victory over Kansas Nov. 10 in Austin, Texas.
2019 VS. TEXAS
- Kansas hosted then-No. 4 Texas Oct. 26 in the Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena, falling to the Longhorns in three sets. The Kansas attack was led by senior Ashley Smith, who tallied 10 kills, while Sara Nielsen finished with a team-high 31 assists. Four Jayhawks finished with five digs or more against UT and were led by Allie Nelson’s eight.
OPPONENT PREVIEW: TEXAS
- No. 1 Texas enters the match 19-3 and 13-1 in Big 12 play. The Longhorns last competed at No. 3 Baylor, falling to the Bears in five sets. The Texas attack is led by Micaya White, who averages 4.00 kills per set and has 308 kills this season. Logan Eggleston is a close second to White, and has 275 kills this season and averages 3.57 kills per set. Aiding the Texas attack is Jhenna Gabriel, who has 792 assists this season and averages 10.42 assists per set.
- Brionne Butler has tallied a team-high 1.68 blocks per set this season in 37 sets played, while Skylar Fields has a team-high 73 blocks this season and averages 0.95 blocks per set. Four Longhorns have amassed over 150 digs this season with Sydney Peterson tallying a team-best 280 digs. Peterson is also the team leader in digs per set (3.64).
- Kansas hosts Iowa State Wednesday, Nov. 27 at 6:30 p.m. in Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena for Senior Day.