MATCH PREVIEW: at K-State (Dillons Sunflower Showdown)
LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas travels to Manhattan, Kansas for the first of two editions of the Dillons Sunflower Showdown against in-state rival Kansas State Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 6 p.m. The match will be nationally televised on ESPNU.
KU enters the match winning two of its last three matches, including a three-set sweep over TCU in the Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena. The Jayhawk offense was led by Ashley Smith and Morgan Christon, who each amassed 12 kills in the victory over the Horned Frogs.
Kansas continues to receive efficient performances from Sara Nielsen and Allie Nelson, who are the team leaders in assists per set and digs per set, respectively. Nielsen averages 8.91 assists per set and is 18th in career ranks at Kansas with 508 assists.
Nelson also continues her climb up the career rankings for digs and now is ninth in program history with 1,146 digs after her 16 dig performance against TCU.
Kansas State enters the match 6-12 overall and 1-5 in Big 12 play. The Wildcats opened conference play with a win over TCU, but dropped their five previous contests.
Fans can watch the match on ESPNU or listen on the Jayhawk Radio Network with Nick Springer calling the action.
|Date/Time:||October 23 at 6 p.m.|
|Location||Ahearn Field House|
|Listen||Jayhawk Radio Network|
BIG 12 STATISTICS (10/21/2019)
- Kansas ranks second in the Big 12 in blocks per set (2.58) and has 140 blocks this season.
- Rachel Langs (52 | 1.21 blocks per set) ranks third in the Big 12 in blocks per set, while senior Zoe Hill is eighth (58 | 1.02 B/S).
- Allie Nelson is sixth in the Big 12 in digs per set (3.82) and has 218 digs this season.
KANSAS VS KANSAS STATE
- Kansas enters the Dillions Sunflower Showdown against Kansas State winning two of its previous three matches, including a three-set sweep of TCU on Oct. 19. K-State enters the match losing its last five matches and has won only three sets in the losing streak. The Wildcats lone Big 12 victory of the season came against TCU in their conference opener.
OPPONENT PREVIEW: KANSAS STATE
- The K-State offense has four Wildcats averaging 2.60 kills per set or greater this season with Brynn Carlson leading the way with her team-high 3.04 kills per set. Carlson also is the team leader in kills (222) with Gloria Mutiri a close second with 205 kills. Aiding the KSU attack is Sarah Dixon, who averages 9.66 assists per set and has 734 assists this season.
- Megan Vernon, Peyton Williams and Mutiri each have amassed 50-or-more blocks this season with Vernon the team leader in blocks (72.0) and blocks per set (1.03). Williams is second on the team with 65 blocks, while Mutiri is third (50). Dru Kuck is the lone Wildcat to have tallied over 250 digs this season, earning a team-high 263 digs and 4.11 digs per set.
2018 SERIES RECAP
- Kansas dropped both matches against K-State during the 2018 season and forced the second meeting to five sets. Prior to the 2018 season, KU had won the previous seven meetings between the two schools.
- Kansas hosts No. 4 Texas Saturday, Oct. 26 at 1 p.m. in Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena. The match will be televised on Big 12 Now // ESPN+.