ATHLETICS HALL OF FAME
The University of Kansas Athletic Hall of Fame has been established to formally recognize outstanding individual and team achievements and to preserve the heritage and tradition of the University’s intercollegiate athletic program. Those team and individual achievements worthy of admittance based on the established criteria shall be formally recognized with appropriate displays. Individual displays may include a portrait (appropriately framed and measuring 16 x 20 inches) painted by an artist commissioned by the Hall of Fame. Team displays shall include photographs, paintings, trophies, and other appropriate memorabilia given by the National Collegiate Athletic Association or body supervising said event, which is being recognized. The Hall of Fame displays shall be located in the Booth Family Hall of Athletics. The Director of Athletics shall serve as the executive officer of the Hall of Fame and will thus assume responsibility for its upkeep and preserving.
Eligibility for Individuals
Individual athletes and teams shall be eligible for the Hall of Fame by achieving any of the following (five year waiting period after the Hall of Fame qualifications have been achieved):
- Olympic Medallist – Individual or Team Sport
- United States Olympic Team Member
- World Record Holder: Recognized National Federation Mark
- American Record Holder: Recognized National Federation Mark
- NCAA First Team All-American in the “primary” recognized poll – Team Sports (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Rowing, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball)
- NCAA Champion – Individual Sports (Cross-country, Golf, Swimming and Diving, Indoor/Outdoor Track and Field, Tennis)
- Selection to a National Hall of Fame for his/her sport
Eligibility for Teams, Coaches and Athletics Directors
- Baseball – World Series team, or a team that finishes in the Top 10 Poll
- Basketball – Elite Eight Team, or a team that finishes in the Top 10 Poll
- Football – Bowl Team that finishes in the Top 20 Poll
- Soccer – Great Eight Team, or a team that finishes in the Top 10 Poll
- Softball – World Series Team, or a team that finishes in the Top 10 Poll
- Volleyball – Great Eight Team, or a team that finishes in the Top 10 Poll
- All other sports – Top 10 team finish at NCAA Nationals, or a Top 10 finish in the final poll
- Head Coaches eligible if team eligible
- Athletics Director to be admitted after serving a minimum of two years and having a team qualify for admittance to the Hall of Fame
Qualifying for the Hall of Fame does not guarantee admittance. The K-Club will be the caretaker of the Hall of Fame. The K-Club Board will make recommendations to the Athletics Director for admittance, according to individuals or teams meeting the criteria. With approval, the individuals and/or teams would be set up with an appropriate date and ceremony for their induction. Additionally, an inductee may be removed from the Hall of Fame for any action that brings dishonor to the University of Kansas. The K-Club Board would first vote to remove someone. The Athletics Director would make the final decision to accept or deny K-Club’s suggestion.
Kansas Athletics does from time to time further honor former student-athletes/coaches by retiring jerseys. The K-Club Board, head coach or other will make recommendations to the Athletics Director for approval. Athletics Director will make final decision.
Eligibility for Special Admittance
Other criteria to be considered for teams and individual is an accomplishment or contribution to a sport of such high stature that it is recognized nationally and subsequently has brought distinction and honor to those involved and to the University of Kansas.
Finally, the athletics department shall have the ability to admit no more than one special exemption per year. This exemption shall be for something exceptional that does not fit into any other criteria previously mentioned.
The Director of Athletics shall make all final decisions relative to admittance.
April 1977, Revised January 1983; September 1996; September 2000; February 2005; November 2005