STUDENT ATHLETES: STUDENT ATHLETE ADVISORY COMMITTEE (SAAC)
The Student Athlete Advisory Committee’s (SAAC) mission is to enhance the total student-athlete experience, protect student-athlete welfare, and promote a positive student-athlete image. It shall represent Kansas Athletics in a way that upholds the traditions of the University of Kansas, promotes leadership and communication, and enhances the campus community and surrounding community through various outreach efforts.
1. The activities of SAAC should enhance and promote the interests of the University of Kansas and Kansas Athletics, Inc.
2. SAAC, as an advisory committee, may recommend policy to the Athletics’ administration when appropriate but may not seek to direct it.
3. SAAC may cooperate with other community or educational organizations, provided that SAAC representatives make no commitments binding SAAC, the University of Kansas, or Kansas Athletics, Inc.
4. SAAC shall work closely with the Big 12 SAAC and shall adhere to Big 12 and National SAAC rules and policies. The Big 12 SAAC’s primary purpose is to provide a perspective on issues that impact student-athlete welfare within the Conference and the NCAA. The Big 12 SAAC reports directly to the Big 12 Conference Joint Council. Is
5. SAAC shall be under the guidance of, and report to, the Director of Student-Athlete Development.
1. Membership and participation on SAAC committees and at SAAC events is open to all student-athletes in good standing at Kansas Athletics, Inc.
2. In order to be considered to be in “good standing” a student-athlete must be eligible to participate on an intercollegiate sports team and must be on the team’s roster. Fifth-year student-athletes, redshirt student-athletes and medical hardship disqualifiers are eligible for SAAC membership if they would meet team requirements, but for the eligibility status. Student-athletes who are suspended, who apply to transfer to another institution, or who in any manner are not able to participate in the team activities are not considered to be in “good standing” and are therefore not eligible for SAAC membership.
III. Duties of Members
1. Individuals wishing to take an active role in SAAC are encouraged to take part in SAAC events and committees as created by the SAAC Executive Committee. SAAC events and activities occur on various dates throughout the semester, while SAAC Executive meetings occur typically twice a month and are open only to selected members.
2. SAAC members and those who attend SAAC events are encouraged to convey information to their teammates as needed.
3. SAAC members are encouraged to seek internal and external activities in order to create camaraderie and cohesion among teams and to create a positive image within the community. Examples of such activities can include the following: community food drives; community service activities; participation in Jay Rock; Jayhawks Supporting Jayhawks; and personal development opportunities. These ideas can be brought directly to the Director of Student-Athlete Development or can be conveyed through each team’s SAAC Executive representatives.
4. Members are encouraged to promote a positive student-athlete image on the University of Kansas campus.
IV. Executive Board
1. Each athletics team shall be permitted at least one, with a maximum of 8% of the team’s roster size, in appointments to the Executive Board.
2. The selection process for the Executive Board shall consist of an interview with the current Director of Student-Athlete Development and potentially other members of the Student-Athlete Development staff and up to two current SAAC Executive members. In order to be considered for SAAC Executive Board, the applicant must exhibit previous interest in department activities and initiatives. In addition, selection to the SAAC Executive Board must be cleared through the student-athlete’s respective coaching staff prior to final approval. Additional selection criteria may be determined at the discretion of the Director of Student-Athlete Development.
3. Executive Board members must uphold and follow all team rules and requirements and follow all rules and guidelines set forth in the Kansas Athletics Student-Athlete Code of Conduct. Failure to follow these requirements may result in removal from the Executive Board. The Director of Student-Athlete Development, in consultation with the Associate Athletics Director for Student Athlete Development and the Sport Supervisor for the student-athlete’s sport, shall determine if removal from the SAAC Executive Board is an appropriate sanction. Their decision to remove Executive Board membership is final and not appealable.
4. The SAAC Representative to the Student Senate, selected by the Director of Student-Athlete Development, shall be a fifth-year student-athlete or a medical hardship qualifier. The Representative shall be an ex-officio member of the Executive Board, and is expected to attend Executive Board meetings.
5. The SAAC Executive Board shall meet twice a month, preferably every other week, when competition schedules allow and additionally as needed.
6. The Executive Board, in conjunction with the Director of Student-Athlete Development, shall have the following responsibilities: select two representatives to the Big 12 SAAC; select a representative to the Student Senate, propose legislation to the Big 12 SAAC; annually review and comment on proposed legislation prior to the NCAA national convention; participate in Big 12 SAAC conference calls and webinars; make recommendations for events and programs for SAAC participation; decide the format, hospitality, and activities of general SAAC meetings, and other actions and activities as requested by Athletics leadership or SAAC members.
7. When votes are required, the vote must take place at a regularly scheduled Executive Board meeting. A quorum must be present in order for a vote to be conducted. A quorum is defined as one-half of the current Executive Board members. Each Executive Board member has an equal vote. Voting is determined by a simple majority of those Executive Board members present at the meeting. In the case of a tie, the Director of Student-Athlete Development will cast the deciding vote. SAAC Executive meetings and other subsequent SAAC events are run by the Director of Student-Athlete Development and the officers of the SAAC Executive Board. Officer positions include President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer. These officer positions are voted on at the final SAAC meeting each year so as to have officers in place for the upcoming academic year.