Coaches: Institutional Camps & Clinics

Return to Table of Contents


 The University of Kansas and Kansas Athletics, Inc. permit the use of their facilities by a variety of institutional camps or clinics which are hosted by University of Kansas head coaches, approved assistant coach designees and the Spirit Squad Coordinator. All athletic camps and clinics conducted on campus (or at Kansas Athletics’ facilities off campus) are considered to be private camps or clinics permitted to operate on a contractual basis, and, as such, are subject to the rules and regulations of Kansas Athletics, the University, and the State of Kansas. In addition to Athletics, University and State rules and regulations, camps or clinics must also comply with applicable Big 12 Conference and NCAA guidelines (see 13.12 in the NCAA Manual for relevant sports camps and clinics regulations). 

With approval from the Athletics Director and a signed No Fee Agreement with KU Licensing, the word “Kansas”, “KU”, and/or “Jayhawks” may be used in camp or clinic titles. 

Kansas Athletics personnel who wish to offer their skills or participate in institutional camp or clinic programs utilizing residence halls, intercollegiate athletic facilities and/or other facilities of the University of Kansas (or if off-campus, a camp defined as a University of Kansas institutional camp by the NCAA) may do so provided that the following requirements are met: 

● Each camp and clinic, in advance, must be approved by the sport administrator and NCAA Compliance Office. 

● Only Kansas Athletics head coaches and the spirit squad coordinator are permitted to own the camp or clinic. Assistant coaches may host camps and/or clinics under the supervision of the head coach, provided prior approval from the head coach and sport administrator is obtained. 

● The camp or clinic must be in compliance with all NCAA rules. The head coach and camp director, if any, are responsible for completing required documentation with the Athletics Compliance office prior to the beginning of the camp/clinic as well as at the conclusion of camp/clinic. 

● The head coach or spirit squad coordinator must have completed a separate agreement (“camp contract”) with Kansas Athletics in order to sponsor a camp or clinic. 

● Camps or clinics operated by corporations substantially owned by a head coach will be considered to be operated by the head coach for the purposes of this policy. Such corporate entities must also sign the separate agreement. 

● Head coaches may assign a member of their staff to serve as the camp or clinic director to assist the head coach in organization of the event. 

● The head coach and any corporation that is owned fully or in part by the head coach for operation of camps and clinics shall indemnify and hold harmless the University of Kansas, the State of Kansas and its Board of Regents, The University of Kansas Health 

Systems and Kansas Athletics, Inc. from any claims or expenses incurred by Kansas Athletics on behalf of the camp or clinic. 

● The head coach and camp director shall ensure that all camp participants have signed a document assuming the risks associated with camp and consenting to medical treatment. Each coach running a camp/clinic must ensure that all camp participants and their parents/guardians have signed the release and consent to treatment form prior to the start of camp. A parent/guardian must sign for any individual under the age of 18. 

● The head coach shall provide, at camp expense, liability insurance coverage of a minimum of five million dollars ($5,000,000), with no exclusion for sexual molestation or obtain separate coverage. A Certificate of Insurance must be provided to the Camp Compliance Officer prior to the commencement of the camp, and the University of Kansas, the State of Kansas and its Board of Regents, The University of Kansas Health Systems and Kansas Athletics, Inc. must be added as named insureds. 

● In addition, Kansas Athletics requires that camps, when required under Kansas law, provide Workers’ Compensation insurance for their employees. As of 1/1/21, the law requires worker’s compensation insurance for any entity with annual payroll over $20,000. 

● Kansas Athletics reserves the right to cancel a camp or clinic. 

● Head coaches are required to staff each camp with the recommended number of trainers as required by Kansas Team Health. 

● Head coaches, in their discretion, may reduce or eliminate the camp fee for the child of a Kansas Athletics’ staff member. 

● All camps and clinics must follow the KU policy for Minors on Campus ( as well as the KU guidelines for youth programs as set forth at, including providing required information to the Office of Public Affairs before and while the camp is occurring. 

● All camps and clinics must conduct background checks on all paid and volunteer staff and ensure that all staff, whether paid or volunteer, have completed a yearly course on the safety of minors prior to working at any camp. 

● Head coaches may not enter into contracts, for camp supplies, which are competitors of KAI. Example: Coke may not sponsor a camp. 

Use of KAI facilities and equipment 

Kansas Athletics shall receive an “Administrative Fee” payment from each camp or clinic utilizing facilities, on or off the KU campus. The specific amount to be paid by each camp or clinic shall be determined annually and agreed to in the Coach’s camp contract with Kansas Athletics. This Administrative Fee payment will be used by Kansas Athletics to offset expenses for the facilities and/or maintenance budget or to pay for staff who provide camp or clinic compliance and/or facilities support. 

The camp director shall provide the Sport Administrator, the Athletics’ Compliance office and the Chief Financial Officer with a detailed financial statement of all proceeds including salary compensation payments. Reporting and Administrative Fee payments shall be remitted no later than 90 days from the last day of camp or clinic unless an extension for additional time is requested from, and approved by, the CFO. 

For overnight camps, it is understood that the Head Coach and camp or clinic director, if any, are responsible for negotiating satisfactory housing arrangements and reporting the relevant contact information to the Sport Administrator, Compliance and to any required campus officials. 

Kansas Athletics fleet vehicles may be used for camps or clinics according to guidelines and payment provisions in KAI’s policy manual. Reservations may be made through the Kansas Athletics’ Equipment Room on a first come, first served basis. The team travel, practice, and business needs of Kansas Athletics have priority over camp usage. 

The accident insurance deductible for vehicles used by the camp will be $1000 and is the responsibility of the Head Coach in case of an accident. 

Approved camps and clinics may use Kansas Athletics Mail Services. Mailings may be sent by regular or presorted mail but may not be made at the non-profit rate. 

The Head Coach shall be responsible for the payment of any expenses incurred by the camp or clinic for the use of University or private facilities, supplies, equipment or support personnel. 

The Head Coach shall reimburse Kansas Athletics for the use of all Kansas Athletics’ supplies or equipment including but not limited to: long distance phone calls, postage, copies, paper, etc. 

The Head Coach shall be responsible for storage of camp equipment at locations other than KAI facilities. Should the Head Coach require temporary storage, they should work with KAI’s Equipment Manager or Facilities Department on their needs. All storage costs are the responsibility of the Head Coach. 

Facility conflicts shall be determined by the Athletics Director in conjunction with other necessary KAI staff, such as: Sport Administrator, NCAA Compliance Department, Facilities, etc. 

Advertisements and Sponsors 

The Deputy AD-External Engagement must approve the solicitation of any corporate sponsors. 

Camp or clinic advertisements or brochures must receive the approval of the Compliance Office. 

All advertisements or brochures will contain language that: “[Name of camp] is a privately owned enterprise and is not operated or sponsored by the University of Kansas or Kansas Athletics, Inc. 

Kansas Athletics staff (e.g. equipment managers & trademark licensing) shall be consulted on all equipment and apparel orders bearing university trademarks. Camp contacts will be directed to approved vendors for the embellishment of University trademarks. All invoices shall be made out to the camp, not to Kansas Athletics. Trademark & Licensing will approve all artwork including University trademarks. 

The official Athletics’ store shall have the right of first refusal to conduct merchandise sales at any camp location, including camp housing locations. Sales of items related to or during the camp duration bearing University trademarks will be subject to standard licensing guidelines and royalty payments by the officially licensed vendor. 

Vacation Leave 

Vacation will not be charged for Kansas Athletics Head and Assistant coaches working their sport specific KU camp or clinic on campus or at a Kansas Athletics’ facility off campus. Additionally, coaches will not be charged vacation for working National Sports Governing Body Development Camps or Non-Institutional Camps. 

Kansas Athletics support staff should not perform camp or clinic duties when Kansas Athletics business is pending. 

Except on days where the staff member is doing work related to camps on a limited and infrequent basis, vacation leave MUST be taken for any Kansas Athletics staff member (except for athletic trainers assigned by Kansas Team Health) when working on camps or clinics, if that employee will receive a financial benefit from the camp for doing so. 

Camp or clinic duties may be performed after the workday or when all Kansas Athletics’ business is concluded; however, hours worked on camp or clinic matters cannot be considered overtime to Kansas Athletics. 

For example, if an administrative assistant or director for operations is working at the camp registration desk for four hours during normal working hours, then that person should take a half day of vacation. Employees are encouraged to work with human resources if they have questions. 

Each Head Coach should compensate support staff (for example, communications staff who may work on a camp brochure or administrative assistants) for work done on their camp or clinic. This should include student managers for set up/breakdown of fields/equipment at any time as well as extended day, night, & weekend hours for camp related duties.