GAME PREVIEW: vs. Indiana State
LAWRENCE, Kan. — The Kansas Jayhawks kick off the 2019 season on Saturday, as they host the Indiana State Sycamores at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kansas. The game will kick off at at 11 a.m. and will air on FSN with Alex Faust (play-by-play) and Jordan Palmer (analyst) on the call.
Saturday’s contest opens a new era of Kansas football, as it is the first under head coach Les Miles. Along with Miles, the Jayhawks bring in a rejuvenated staff, while returning 54 lettermen and 13 starters from a season ago, including eight All-Big 12 selections.
Prior to Saturday’s season-opener, head coach Les Miles met with the media to preview the Jayhawks’ meeting with the Sycamores.
vs. Indiana State Sycamores
Date/Time: August 31 at 11 a.m.
Where: David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, Kan.
Listen: Jayhawk Radio Network
- Sirius Ch. 134; XM Ch. 199; Internet 953
Overall: 2-0, Kansas
In Lawrence: 2-0, Kansas
Current Streak: Win 2, Kansas
Last Meeting: Sept. 27, 1986
- Win vs. Indiana State, 20-6
First Meeting: Sept. 21, 1985
- Win vs. Indiana State, 37-10
- Since 2003, Kansas has not opened its season away from David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium. The last time KU didn’t host an opening-week contest was in 2002 in a 45-3 loss at Iowa State. Since 2002, the Jayhawks hold a 12-4 record in season-openers at home, including a 53-25-2 record all-time. In the last 16 season-openers at home, the Jayhawks have been a force to be reckoned with, outscoring opponents 556-266 while averaging 34.75 points per game.
- The Kansas Jayhawks enter their 130th season on Saturday, competing on August 31 on just two other occasions in the team’s history, where the Jayhawks are 1-1. Kansas first played on August 31, 1985, where the Jayhawks earned a road victory over Hawaii, 33-27. The most recent matchup came on August 31, 2002, where Kansas fell to Iowa State, 45-3 on the road. Saturday’s contest also marks just the ninth time the Jayhawks have opened the season in the month of August, where the Jayhawks hold an even 4-4 record.
- In Kansas season-openers, the Jayhawks boast a 72-50-7 all-time record dating back to 1890, as the team will look to improve that record in its season-opener on Saturday. As a head coach at Oklahoma State and LSU, Les Miles holds a 12-4 record in season-openers, in which five of those wins were against ranked opponents.
- Both head coaches in Saturday’s matchup hail from the University of Michigan, where Les Miles graduated in 1976, while Curt Mallory graduated in 1992. Both Miles and Mallory played for the Wolverines in their time at Michigan, with Miles playing on two Big Ten Championship teams and Mallory playing on three Rose Bowl teams.
- Tailgate Guys
- Rideshare Service
- Improved Parking
- New Halk Walk
- Indoor Football Practice Facility
- New Team Entrance
- Alcohol Sales
- Gameday Concessions
- New LED Ribbon Boards in the North Endzone
- Crimson and Blue BBQ
For more information on the improvements coming to David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, click here.
Fans can bring in the new season by coming out to David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium on Saturday with a variety of ticket options available here.