Kansas Relays to feature fun for the whole family
LAWRENCE, Kan. – A field event held on the streets of Lawrence, food trucks and a team competition with current and former Big 12 foes are just a few of the exciting activities that are set to take place in conjunction with the Kansas Relays presented by RCB Bank later this week. The 91st edition of the meet is to be held at the Jayhawks’ state-of-the-art track facility at Rock Chalk Park, April 18-21.
Street Pole Vault – Thursday (April 19), 5:30 pm
- Lawrence will again be the site of one of the more unique track events in the United States as the Kansas Relays will feature a Street Pole Vault Exhibition for the third-consecutive year. The event is set for 5:30 p.m., on Thursday, April 19 and will be held in the parking lot of the Salty Iguana restaurant near the corner of Sixth and Wakarusa in west Lawrence.
- This year’s event will feature seven females, all professionals. The competition will have predetermined heights with each athlete earning a dollar amount per clearance. Just like a normal pole vault event, if an athlete fails to clear a bar after three attempts at one height, she will be out of the competition.
- In addition to the pole vault, Salty Iguana will offer food and beverages for sale in the parking lot during the event, weather permitting. The event will also include inflatable games, prizes and appearances by Big Jay and Baby Jay will also be a part of the festivities.
Lane10 – Friday-Saturday (April 20-21), All Day
- For the fourth-straight year at the Kansas Relays, fans will have an opportunity to enjoy their favorite food and beverages at “Lane10”, which will be open during Friday and Saturday’s events. Lane10 will be located just north of the Rock Chalk Park track and will be open to all fans in attendance. The area will be open beginning Friday morning and remain open until Saturday evening.
- Fans will have a wide variety of food and treat vendors to choose from, including Salty Iguana, Bigg’s BBQ, Coldstone, Ramen Bowl, Blend, Kona Ice, and G’s Jamaican Cuisine.
- Lane10 will include the Family Fun Zone, complete with inflatable games and other activities for the whole family. That will be held near the north end of the Rock Chalk Park concourse from 1-5 p.m., Saturday.
- This year’s KU Relays will also feature a Happy Hour, to open at 3 p.m., Saturday near the south end of the Rock Chalk Park concourse, complete with beer and wine provided by 23rd Street Brewery. Fans 21 years and older can purchase a Happy Hour membership for $5 (one beverage), $10 (two beverages) and $15 (three beverages).
Collegiate Quadrangular – Saturday (April 21), 1-5:30pm
- For the fourth-straight year, the Kansas Relays will feature a scored team competition as four teams on both the men’s and women’s side will square off.
- Kansas will go head-to-head with Kansas State, Nebraska and Harvard in the competition that will span 40 men’s and women’s track & field events.
- The format of the quadrangular will be similar to other scored collegiate meets such as the Big 12 Championships and the NCAA Championships. Individuals will earn points based on their finish in their respective events. Only the top-two finishers from each team will be scored in each individual event, and be allowed only one team in the relays.
MORE ON THE 91st KANSAS RELAYS PRESENTED BY RCB BANK
Now in its 91st year, the Kansas Relays returns as one of the most historic and popular collegiate and high school track & field competitions in the nation. This year’s meet is setting up to be another exciting event that will feature thousands of collegiate, post-collegiate and high school track athletes from across the United States in action over four days at Kansas’ state-of-the-art facility, Rock Chalk Park. The meet will again feature an exciting scored team competition during the final evening of competition, with the host Kansas competing against Kansas State, Nebraska and Harvard.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.