The University of Kansas Spirit Squad members are ambassadors of the University. Consisting of the cheerleading squad, Rock Chalk Dance Team and Big Jay & Baby Jay mascots, the Spirit Squad makes hundreds of appearances each year including athletic, University, non-profit organization, corporate and private events.
Cheerleaders and dancers mingle and pump up guests with basic fight songs or cheers. They do not perform routines at events. You must provide KU Fight Song music if needed. Mascots mingle with guests and pose for photos.
Guidelines for Spirit Squad appearances:
1. Requests must be received at least one month prior to the event date.
3. A private and secure changing room is requested for cheerleaders and dancers, but is required for Big Jay and Baby Jay (no public changing rooms).
4. Water must be provided for all performers at all events.
5. Costumes will NOT be loaned or rented.
6. Event planners may publicize the Spirit Squad’s appearance at their event. Big Jay or Baby Jay images may be used on promotional materials for KU-related events only. Permission to use a Big Jay or Baby Jay image must be cleared with the Trademark department via the Spirit Squad Office Representative.
7. Mascot appearances at wedding receptions must be at the onset of the reception before any beverages are served. The hourly charge for mascot will begin from the arrival of the event to departure of event.
To request an appearance:
1. To qualify for a non-profit rate ($100.00 per Hour), please attach a W-9 and IRS Determination Letter . (i.e. 501 (c)(3)) all request must be made through the online request form below.
2. Upon receipt of your request, you will receive an email with confirmation of your request Completion of the request form does not guarantee that the request can be filled.
3. Confirmation of appearances can be expected approximately one month prior to the event and is dependent on the Spirit Squad’s game and academic schedules.
4. Mascots cannot make an appearance on Football game days or during men’s and women’s basketball games times.
August 1, 2019
- KU STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS* $100 per hour plus mileage roundtrip
- KU COLLEGES, DIVISIONS & DEPARTMENTS $150 per hour (1 hour only) plus mileage roundtrip
- PRIVATE & OUT OF TOWN EVENTS $300 for 1 hour plus roundtrip mileage (Lawrence surrounding areas and Kansas City surrounding areas
**Non-profit organizations $50.00 per hour plus mileage if out of Lawrence area must provide a W-9 and IRS Determination Letter. (i.e. 501 (c)(3))
CHEERLEADING SQUAD/DANCE TEAM (minimum of 4)
- KU STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS* $150 per hour for group of four (4) total, $150 rate for each additional group of four
- KU COLLEGES, DIVISIONS & DEPARTMENTS $100 per hour for group of four (4) total, $100 rate for each additional group of four (4)
- PRIVATE & OUT OF TOWN EVENTS $200 1st hour & $100 each additional hour per hour plus roundtrip mileage (Lawrence surrounding areas and Kansas City surrounding areas
*Student organizations must be registered with the Student Organization Office
**Non-profit organizations must provide a W-9 and IRS Determination Letter. (i.e. 501 (c)(3))