Jayhawks complete comeback in season opener
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kansas volleyball came away victorious in their season opener against Kansas City, defeating the Roos 3-2 in Swinney Recreation Center.
After falling behind two sets to one, the Jayhawks responded by winning the final two sets by a score of 40-28. The team was led by freshman Gracie Van Driel who finished with a team-high 14 kills on the night. Senior Zoe Hill and sophomore Rachel Langs also had dominant performances in the middle, with the two ending the night with 11 and 10 kills respectively. Langs also added a team-best seven total blocks to her stat line.
Next up for Kansas is a matchup against Omaha on Tuesday. The game is set to take place in Omaha, Nebraska at 6:30 p.m. in Baxter Arena.
- Kansas wins the set 15-12 and the match 3-2
- The Jayhawks rallied off five of the final six points to secure the victory
- The Jayhawks take set four 25-16
- Kansas outscored Kansas City 15-6 over the final 21 points
- With the set win, the match is tied at 2-2
- Nielsen has a team-high three service aces
- Kansas falls in set three 25-18
- Kansas City takes a 2-1 match lead
- Van Driel has a team-best 10 kills
Langs and Nielsen come up with a huge block.
- The Jayhawks win the second set 25-23
- Tied the match at 1-1
- Gracie Van Driel leads the way with seven kills
Zoe Hill with the block.
- Kansas falls 25-13 in the first set
- Langs and Hill lead the team with two kills apiece