Wiggins Named All-America Second Team by Sporting News
LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins added another piece of hardware to his already successful rookie season when Sporting News named him All-America Second Team Monday.
Wiggins scored a Kansas freshman record 41 points at West Virginia in KU’s regular-season finale on March 8. The Vaughan, Ontario, Canada, guard leads Kansas with a 16.8 scoring average, the best among Big 12 freshmen and eighth overall in the conference. Wiggins has made 37 threes this season and is the team leader with 36 steals after his career-high five at WVU, the most by any Jayhawk this season. Wiggins’ 5.9 rebound average is third on the team. A gifted shooter, Wiggins also ranks among the Big 12 leaders in field goal percentage (11th at 45.2) and free throw percentage (10th at 76.5).
A unanimous All-Big 12 First Team selection, who is also the conference freshman of the year, Wiggins is a three-time Big 12 Newcomer of the Week and was the Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Week on Jan. 28. Additionally, he is on most every national player and freshman of the year ballot.
Last season, Kansas’ Jeff Withey was named to the Sporting News All-America Second Team and Ben McLemore the third team.
Wiggins Awards (2013-14)
• Sporting News All-America Second Team
• Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (3.9.14)
• Big 12 Freshman of the Year (Big 12, AP)
• All-Big 12 First Team (unanimous selection, Big 12, AP)
• Big 12 All-Newcomer Team
• Wooden Award Final Ballot (1 of 15)
• Wayman Tisdale Award Finalist by USBWA (1 of 6)
• Oscar Robertson Trophy Finalist List by USBWA (1 of 15)
• Naismith Men’s College Player of the Year Candidate (1 of 30)
• Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Week (1.28.14)
• Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (1.27.14)
• Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (11.18.13)
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.