| Game 16
| #2/2 KANSAS (14-1, 3-0 Big 12) at
Oklahoma (6-8, 0-3 Big 12)
||Tuesday, Jan. 10
||8 p.m. Central
||Lloyd Noble Center
| Points / game
| Opp. Points / game
| Field Goal %
| 3-Point Field Goal %
| Free Throw %
| Rebounds / game
| Assists / game
| Turnovers / game
| Steals / game
| Blocks / game
Notes Kansas Game Notes (.pdf)
Notes Oklahoma Game Notes (.pdf)
Notes Big 12 Game Notes (.pdf)
GOING FOR 400
No. 2/2 Kansas (14-1, 3-0) has reached many milestones this season and there is yet another on the cusp when the Jayhawks travel to Oklahoma (6-8, 0-3), Tuesday, Jan. 10, at 8 p.m. (Central) on ESPN2. Head coach Bill Self is looking to become the third Kansas coach to win 400 games while on the KU sidelines.
Kansas won its 14th-straight game with an 85-68 win versus Texas Tech Jan. 7. Oklahoma is looking to end a six-game losing streak after its 75-64 loss at Kansas State Jan. 7.
Milestones Victories in 2016-17
• Kansas gets all-time victory No. 2,200
• Bill Self becomes the ninth fastest coach to 600 career victories
• Bill Self becomes the winningest coach in Allen Fieldhouse history
Kansas Coaching Victories
Coach (years at KU) – W-L (Pct.)
Phog Allen (1907-09; 1919-56) – 590-219 (.729)
Roy Williams (1989-2003) – 418-101 (.805)
Bill Self (2004-present) – 399-84 (.826)
Ted Owens (1964-83) – 348-182 (.657)
Larry Brown (1984-88) – 135-44 (.754)
W.O. Hamilton (1909-19) – 121-82 (.596)
Dick Harp (1956-64) – 121-82 (.596)
James Naismith (1898-1907) – 55-60 (.478)
Kansas’ 14-game winning streak is the third-longest in NCAA Division I behind Baylor (15) and Gonzaga (15). The Jayhawks have not lost since their season opener, Nov. 11, versus Indiana (103-99 in overtime). KU averages 86.7 points per game and has scored 85 or more in nine of its last 10 contests. KU has a +16.9 scoring margin. Kansas leads the Big 12 and is fifth nationally with a 51.2 field goal percentage. KU leads the league with a 42.0 3-point field goal percentage, which is sixth in NCAA Division I. KU averages 40.3 rebounds per contest with a +6.3 rebound margin, which is third in the Big 12 and 35th nationally. KU also averages 18.1 assists, 7.1 steals and 5.5 blocked shots per game.
Two-time Big 12 Player of the Week in 2016-17, senior G Frank Mason III leads the conference in scoring with a 19.9 scoring average after his 26 points against Texas Tech (1/7). He has eight games of 20 points or more and has led Kansas in scoring in 12 of 15 games this season. Mason leads the Big 12 in 3-point field goal percentage at 52.3 percent and he is second on the team with 34 3-pointers made. Mason is second in the Big 12 with 5.7 assists per game. Freshman G Josh Jackson is coming off his third double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds against Texas Tech (1/7). His 15.3 scoring average is sixth in the Big 12, tops among league freshmen, and his 6.6 rebound average is ninth in the conference. He has earned Big 12 Player of the Week once and Big 12 Newcomer of the Week twice this season. Jackson leads KU with 22 blocked shots and is tied for the team lead with 23 steals. Junior G Devonte’ Graham scored a season-high 20 points against Texas Tech (1/7). He leads KU with 35 3-pointers made and is tied with Jackson for the team lead with 23 steals. Junior G Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk has made 33 3-pointers to complement his 10.7 scoring average. Mykhailiuk has started the last five games and is averaging 12.2 points per game in that span. Rounding out the starters is senior C Landen Lucas who posted back-to-back double-doubles in two of his last three games. The Jan. 3 Big 12 Player of the Week, Lucas leads KU with 6.9 rebounds per game, which is eighth in the Big 12. Lucas is scoring 7.4 points per game and is averaging 13.7 points and 11.7 rebounds in three conference games.
Sophomore G Lagerald Vick has started five games this season and is averaging 8.7 points, including 17 points at TCU (12/30). Vick has made seven 3-pointers in his last five games and 19 for the season. Sophomore F Carlton Bragg Jr., pulled down nine rebounds at TCU (12/30) and is averaging 5.7 boards per game. He is scoring 6.7 points per contest. Freshman F Mitch Lightfoot (1.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg) also sees time off the bench for KU.
Located in Norman, Oklahoma, with an enrollment of 30,813, Oklahoma is 6-8 overall and 0-3 in Big 12 play. The Sooners are coached by Lon Kruger, who is 117-65 in his sixth season at OU and 596-369 in his 31st season overall. OU is 4-3 at home this season. Oklahoma averages 75.1 points per game and has a +2.7 scoring margin. The Sooners pull down 37.2 rebounds per contest with a +0.9 rebound margin. Oklahoma is third in the Big 12 in 3-point field goal percentage at 39.7 percent and averages 7.4 3-pointers made per game. OU also averages 13.1 assists, 8.1 steals and 4.9 blocked shots per contest.
Senior G Jordan Woodard has missed the last four games for OU. He leads the Sooners with a 17.6 scoring average, 26 3-pointers made and 36 assists. Woodard makes 81.8 percent of his free throws and is second on the team with 21 steals. Sophomore G Christian James is next in scoring at 10.9 points per game. He has made 25 3-pointers and has a team-best 48.1 3-point field goal percentage. Sophomore G Rashard Odomes is a starter who averages 9.4 points and 3.7 rebounds per game. Junior F Khadeem Lattin leads OU with 5.6 rebounds per contest to go along with an 8.4 scoring average. Lattin is third in the Big 12 with 1.9 blocked shots per game. Freshman F Kristian Doolittle (7.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg) has started 10 games for OU. Freshman G Kameron McGusty leads OU with a 13.3 scoring average in three Big 12 games. Overall, McGusty scores 7.1 points per game. Other OU regulars include freshman F Matt Freeman (4.9 ppg, 2.0 rpg, two starts), junior G Darrion Strong-Moore (4.6 ppg, started last game), freshman G Jordan Shepherd (4.2 ppg, four starts) and sophomore C Jamuni McNeace (3.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg).
The series between Kansas and Oklahoma dates back to 1920 when both schools were members of the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association and Kansas leads, 144-66. Since 2006, the Jayhawks have won 15 of the last 17 meetings against the Sooners. Kansas is 50-42 against Oklahoma in games played in Norman, which includes an 19-15 record games played at Lloyd Noble Center. Since the inception of the Big 12 Conference, Kansas is 23-6 against Oklahoma; 21-4 in regular-season play and 2-2 in the Big 12 Championship. Kansas head coach Bill Self is 16-5 all-time against Oklahoma, including 16-3 while at KU. Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger is 7-18 versus Kansas, 2-8 while at OU. Last year’s battles were epic top-10 matchups with Kansas winning a thrilling 109-106 triple-overtime game in Allen Fieldhouse on Jan. 4 and KU claiming a 76-72 win in Lloyd Noble Center on Feb. 13.
TEXAS TECH LEFTOVERS
• Now with a 2,200-837 all-time record, Kansas becomes only the second team in NCAA Division I history to reach 2,200 all-time wins.
• Kansas is now 14-1 or better for the second-straight season and seventh time in the Bill Self era.
• With Frank Mason III (26 points) and Devonte’ Graham (20) reaching 20 points, it marks the third time this season Kansas has had two 20-point scorers in the same game.
• With its 14th-straight win, Kansas ties for the sixth-longest winning streak in the Self era.
• Kansas shot 18-of-22 from the free throw line for its highest free throw percentage of the season (81.8 percent).
• Kansas finished with a 51.8 shooting percentage from the field (29-for-56). Kansas has shot 50 percent or better in 10 of its 15 games this season.
• Kansas led at halftime, 37-27. It is the second double-figure scoring lead at halftime during conference play this season.
• Kansas registered 16 fast break points to Texas Tech’s two. The Jayhawks average 13.1 fast break points per game this season.
• Kansas led for 38 minutes (95 percent of regulation). It is the seventh game this season Kansas has led for 90 percent of regulation or more.
• Senior G Frank Mason III finished with 26 points on 6-of-11 shooting with five rebounds and four assists. Mason has 12 20-point games in his career, including eight this season.
• Mason was 11-for-12 at the free throw line, besting his 11-for-14 free throw shooting performance against UMKC (Dec. 6) for the best by a Jayhawk this season.
• Mason was 3-for-4 from beyond the arc to move into a tie with J.R. Giddens for 16th place on KU’s all-time 3-point field goals made list (137).
• Mason now has 1,431 career points — two points away from tying Wilt Chamberlain on KU’s all-time scoring list.
• Junior G Devonte’ Graham drained 4-of-8 3-pointers to pass Steve Woodberry for 18th on KU’s all-time 3-point field goals made list (127).
• Graham’s 20-point effort was his first of the season and fifth of his career.
• Freshman G Josh Jackson recorded his third double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds. Jackson leads KU in double-doubles this season.
• Kansas leads the Big 12 and ranks fifth nationally in field goal percentage at 51.2 percent. The Jayhawks also sit first in the conference, sixth nationally, in 3-point field goal percentage at 42.0 percent. Additionally, KU ranks in the upper half in the Big 12 in win-loss percentage (second at 93.3), scoring (third at 86.7), scoring margin (third at +16.9), rebounding (second at 40.3), rebounding defense (fifth at 34.1), rebound margin (third at +6.3), assists (second at 18.1), blocked shots (second at 5.5) and 3-point average (third at 8.8).
• After beginning the season shooting 59.2 percent from the free throw line in its first 12 nonconference games, Kansas is now shooting 76.1 percent during conference play.
• Senior G Frank Mason III leads the Big 12 in scoring at 19.9 points per game, 3-point field goal percentage (52.3) and is second in assists at 5.7 per game. He has led KU in scoring in 11 of 15 games this season, including six of the last eight contests.
• Senior C Landen Lucas is tied for the lead in the Big 12 in rebounding with an 11.7 average in three conference games. His 13.7 scoring average in league play is tied for 19th and his 72.0 field goal percentage is third.
• Lucas is averaging 13.7 ppg and 11.7 rpg in Big 12 play and 7.4 ppg and 6.9 rpg in all games. He is shooting 63.6 percent for the season, including 72.0 in Big 12 contests.
• Freshman G Josh Jackson ranks sixth in the Big 12 in scoring at 15.3 ppg, which leads the conference freshman class. His 6.6 rebounds per game are ninth in the league.
• Junior G Devonte’ Graham is 7-for-15 (46.7 percent) from 3-point range in his last two games. In the three games prior Graham was 1-for-15 from beyond the arc.
• Junior G Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk has made multiple 3-pointers in 11 games this season, a feat he accomplished 11 times last season. He is sixth in the Big 12 in 3-point field goals made at 2.2 per game and sixth in 3-point field goal percentage at 45.2.
Here are some active Kansas streaks, all of which lead the nation:
• 12 Big 12 Conference regular-season titles
• 27 NCAA Tournament appearances
• 27 seasons with 20+ wins
• 51 wins at home, including 48 in Allen Fieldhouse
• 149 weeks ranked in AP Top 25
• Won at least 12 league games for 16-straight years.
When you talk top guards in the Bill Self era at Kansas, senior G Frank Mason III has to be part of the discussion. Mason leads the Big 12 with a 19.8 scoring average.
KU Guard Top Seasons Under Bill Self
Name (season) PPG APG SPG
Frank Mason III (2016-17) 19.9 5.7 1.3
Sherron Collins (2008-09) 18.9 5.0 1.1
Andrew Wiggins (2013-14) 17.1 1.5 1.2
Tyshawn Taylor (2011-12) 16.6 4.8 1.3
Ben McLemore (2012-13) 15.9 2.0 1.0
NOT BAD COMPANY
Senior G Frank Mason III is 26th in KU men’s basketball history with 1,431 all-time points and 12th with 474 career assists. Mason is only the sixth Jayhawk to rank that high in both categories.
Name (KU seasons) Rank/Points Rank/Assists
Sherron Collins (2007-10) 1,888/5th 552/8th
Darnell Valentine (1978-81) 1,821/6th 609/5th
Kirk Hinrich (2000-03) 1,753/11th 668/4th
Kevin Pritchard (1987-90) 1,692/12th 499/10th
Tyshawn Taylor (2009-12) 1,580/15th 575/6th
Frank Mason III (2014-pres.) 1,431/26th 474/12th
With its 89-71 win against Davidson (12/17), Kansas posted its 10th-straight win. Under Bill Self, KU has won 10 or more straight games 15 times. KU’s current 14-game win streak ranks tied for the 11th longest in the Self era.
KU 10-Plus Winning Streaks Under Bill Self (2003-04)
20 Nov. 9, 2007-Jan. 26, 2008
18 Nov. 15, 2012-Jan. 28, 2013
18 Nov. 12, 2010-Jan. 17, 2011
17 Jan. 30, 2016-March 24, 2016
16 Feb. 27, 2008-Nov. 24, 2008
14 Nov. 15, 2016-present
14 Nov. 13, 2009-Jan. 6, 2010
14 Feb. 7, 2007-March 22, 2007
14 Nov. 19, 2004-Jan. 19, 2005
13 Nov. 23, 2015-Jan. 9, 2016
13 Jan. 13, 2010-Feb. 22, 2010
11 Feb. 19, 2011-March 25, 2011
10 Dec. 22, 2011-Jan. 23, 2012
10 Dec. 4, 2006-Jan. 15, 2007
10 Nov. 21, 2005-Feb. 21, 2006
Kansas will return home to host Oklahoma State on Saturday, Jan. 14, at 1 p.m., on ESPN2. KU will then play its first of four ESPN Big Monday games at Iowa State on Jan. 16 at 8 p.m. The Jayhawks return home to host Texas on Jan. 21 at 1 p.m., on CBS.
KUAthletics.com: The official online source for Kansas Athletics, Williams Education Fund contributions, tickets, merchandise, multimedia, photos and much, much more.