Official travel is defined as that which is essential to transact Kansas Athletics business. Individual travel covers all approved travel by Kansas Athletics staff members on official Kansas Athletics business. Travel in this category includes such activities as recruiting, fundraising, and attendance at conferences and professional meetings. Authorization for travel will not be granted and expenses will not be reimbursed unless the travel arrangements are made according to this policy.
All travel expenses must be within budget constraints and be supported by the appropriate documentation for reimbursement purposes. Information regarding the documentation and reimbursement of travel expenses is found in Policy 404B, Disbursements: Travel and Entertainment.
Employees on official travel are expected to conduct themselves and Kansas Athletics’ business with integrity and in compliance with all applicable laws and Kansas Athletics and KU policies and procedures as well as NCAA rules and regulations. Further, employees should exercise good judgment and travel on Athletics’ business in a cost-efficient manner. Unauthorized excess costs, circuitous routes, delays, or luxury accommodations and services unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of official business are not compensable. Travelers are responsible for unauthorized costs and any additional expenses incurred for personal preference or convenience.
Prior approval for individual travel is required.
Travel for recruiting purposes must be authorized by the Sports Supervisor and approved by the Athletics Compliance office. The Sport Supervisor approves the impact that the travel will have on the sport’s budget. The Athletics Compliance Office confirms that the travel is permissible within NCAA rules and regulations.
Individuals approved for recruiting travel are responsible for arranging their own travel itinerary through the assistance of the Kansas Athletics Travel Coordinators.
NCAA Documentation Requirements
All off-campus recruiting activities including but not limited to contact and evaluation of a prospective student-athlete (prospect’s parent(s), legal guardian(s), coach or other individual associated with the prospect) must be documented on the appropriate form designated by the Athletics Compliance office. This form must be submitted with the expense report at the conclusion of travel.
See Policy 502A, Student-Athletes: Recruitment, for additional information.
Individual staff travel may be approved for official purposes including, but not limited to, attendance at professional meetings, workshops and/or conferences. All official travel requests must be within the budgetary limitations of the sport or administrative area and subject to Kansas Athletics travel policies.
Staff members may not claim expenses which are to be reimbursed by a source outside Kansas Athletics. Approval for official travel is granted based on the availability of funds, time away from work and determined benefit to the athletics program.
Staff members are encouraged to accept appropriate speaking engagements; however, every effort should be made to minimize or avoid any cost to Kansas Athletics. Reimbursement for expenses incurred in association with speaking engagements or while making public appearances as a representative of Kansas Athletics is limited and subject to the following limitations:
1. The purpose of the speech must concern some aspect of intercollegiate athletics, Kansas Athletics or the speech must be presented to a recognized sports association or organization.
2. If an honorarium is paid, the amount of expense reimbursement is limited to costs incurred by the speaker which are in excess of the honorarium.
3. Reimbursement for speaking engagements which require travel must be approved, in advance, by the Director of Athletics. Additionally, with the Director’s approval, expenses incurred while attending a speaking engagement may be reimbursed, if the event is associated with alumni groups and/or major athletics program contributors.
4. All speaking engagements and attendances by a coach or other Kansas Athletics staff member to a prospect’s educational institution or to an event that involves a prospective student-athlete must be approved by the Athletics Compliance office.
See Policy 603B, Coaches and Administrators: Outside Employment and Promotional Activities, in this Manual for additional information.
Small cash advances for individual travel may be available and must be approved in advance by the individual’s supervisor.
Within five regular working days (Monday-Friday) after the traveler has returned, expense reports should be completed through the Business Office travel software. Receipts must be scanned and attached. Any cash remaining from the advance must be returned at this time to Kansas Athletics. A subsequent trip request and cash advance request cannot be authorized unless an expense report and cash settlement has been made for a previous trip. Money owed back to Kansas Athletics must be paid via cash or check. Credit card payments are not allowed.
Allowances and Documentation
Staff members are to use established, ethical business practices when traveling on official Kansas Athletics business. Travel reimbursements are limited to actual expenses incurred for transportation, meals, lodging, and related business expenses. Staff members are responsible for all expenses of spouses or other dependents who may accompany them on trips. Original receipts are required for the following expenses:
2. Registration fees;
3. Car rental;
4. Taxi or limousine service;
5. Parking or toll charges;
6. Gasoline charges; and
7. Banquet or entertainment meals (in excess of the maximum daily per diem).
Miscellaneous expenses are subject to approval and must also be supported by a receipt. Travelers are not reimbursed for alcohol, movies, personal phone calls, magazines, laundry, car washes, shoe shines or other such personal expenses.
No receipts, No reimbursement. A missing receipt form may be used if a receipt was not provided by the vendor or if there is a legitimate business reason for not having the receipt. The missing receipt form is located on the Business Portal.
It is the policy of Kansas Athletics that, when a spouse and/or children accompany an employee who is traveling on official business for Kansas Athletics, Kansas Athletics will not pay the travel expenses of the spouse and/or children, unless provided for by an employment contract. The Athletics Director must approve any exceptions to this policy, such as post-season tournament travel, in advance in writing.
When, pursuant to an approved exception or contractual arrangement, Kansas Athletics pays the travel expenses of the spouse and/or children, Kansas Athletics will report the following amounts as taxable income to the employee:
- Cost of transportation. An exception exists which apply to charter flights. If 50% or more of the charter flight capacity is filled by officials performing business functions at the event, IRS allows individuals to fill the excess charter flight capacity with spouse and/or children without taxable consequences for the flight. Additional aircraft may not be chartered, however, if the official party can be accommodated in one aircraft and chartering a second aircraft is primarily for the purpose of accommodating non-official travelers under this exception.
- Additional cost for hotel room(s) – If the hotel cost is the same for one or two occupants, spousal lodging would not be considered taxable income
- Other expenses including the value of admission tickets.
The University airplanes are State airplanes and are operated and financed with State funds. Ordinarily, University policy prohibits spouses and/or children on these flights because they do not have an official university business purpose for their travel. Exceptions to this policy must be approved in advance in writing by the Chief Business and Financial Planning Officer and by the Chancellor.
All air travel must be made through the Kansas Athletics approved travel agency. Any other air travel will not be reimbursed. First-class air travel rates will not be paid unless approved by the sports supervisor or Athletics Director due to special circumstances.
The corporate travel coordinators must be notified immediately when travel plans are changed or canceled. Canceled, non-refundable tickets or tickets ordered without the assistance of the corporate travel coordinators are the responsibility of the individual.
Airport parking fees are reimbursable at any airport parking at no more than twenty-two dollars per day.