RCW: Inside Cross Country 3.7
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
With Chris Melgares’ sixth-place finish at the Rim Rock Classic Saturday, the Kansas men have now placed at least one Jayhawk in the overall top-10 at their home meet in each of the last five years.
- Last Saturday, the Kansas cross country teams competed in their second meet of the season at the Rim Rock Classic.
- The men’s team placed second overall (42 points) for the second year in a row and the women’s team finished third (46 points).
- Indiana swept the team titles. The Hoosier men are currently ranked No. 14 in the nation.
- Sophomore All-American Sharon Lokedi made her season debut by running to an individual fourth-place finish, completing the 6K with a time of 20:37.7.
- Lokedi has now been the top Kansas finisher in each of her six career races in the Crimson and Blue.
- Two other Jayhawk women finished in the top 10: senior Malika Baker (7th place, 21:20.1) and senior Nashia Baker (10th place, 21:40.3).
- Junior Chris Melgares was the first KU runner to cross the finish line on the men’s side, placing sixth overall with an 8K time of 24:19.0.
- Sophomore Dylan Hodgson also placed in the top 10, finishing the 8K race in a time of 24:29.9, good enough for a ninth-place finish.
- The men’s team saw its top-five finishers place among the top-15 overall.
- Former Kansas runner Evan Landes ran unattached and clinched second place overall (23:50.4).
- Both teams will now shift their focus to the Pre-National Invitational on Saturday, Oct. 15 in Terre Haute, Indiana. The women’s 6K race will start at 10 a.m. (CT) with the men beginning their 8K race at 10:35 a.m. (CT).