RCW: Inside Men's Basketball 3.24
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
With its 67-65 win at Baylor on Feb. 18, Kansas’ magic number is one as it has a three-game lead in the 2016-17 Big 12 race with four games to play. With one victory in its final four contests, or one loss by either Baylor or West Virginia, the Jayhawks will guarantee at least a tie of their 13th-consecutive, 17th Big 12 and NCAA-leading 60th conference regular-season championship.
Notes QUICK HITS
- At 12-2 in league play, Kansas has won 12 or more conference games each of the last 17 seasons, beginning in 2000-01.
- With its win at No. 4 Baylor (2/18), Kansas improved to 4-0 against top-10 teams in 2016-17.
- At Baylor (2/18), Kansas trailed at halftime, 35-29, marking the seventh time in its last 11 outings it has gone into the intermission with a deficit. With the win, Kansas improved to 8-1 in games with a halftime deficit this season.
- Senior guard Frank Mason III has 15 games of 20 or more points this season, including nine in Big 12 play. He has led KU in scoring 19 times in 2016-17.
- Mason is vying to become the first player in KU and Big 12 history to average 20 or more points and five or more assists in a single season. Mason is currently averaging 20.3 points and 5.0 rebounds per game in 2016-17.
- Freshman guard Josh Jackson leads Kansas with nine double-doubles, 32 blocked shots and 47 steals this season.
- Senior center Landen Lucas has led KU in rebounds 14 times this season which includes 11 Big 12 contests.
- For the 20th time in the 21-year history of the Big 12, Kansas will not play the first day of the upcoming Big 12 Championship, March 8-11, at Sprint Center in Kansas City. KU will open the event March 9 in the quarterfinals.