RCW: Inside Soccer 3.5
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
With their draw against Pepperdine Sunday, the Jayhawks claimed their 39th-consecutive unbeaten result in matches when they have scored the first goal. Kansas is 45-1-5 since the start of the 2012 season when it nets the first goal of a match.
- The Jayhawks played to a 1-1 draw versus No. 25 Pepperdine Sunday afternoon in Malibu to move to 5-3-2 following the conclusion of nonconference play.
- Sophomore Grace Hagan scored her fourth goal of the season in the tie with the Waves. Hagan enters conference play ranked eighth in the Big 12 in goals (4) and fourth in total shots (32).
- Just over midway through her season, Hagan has already exceeded her total offensive output from her entire freshman campaign last year.
- With their draw Sunday in Malibu, the Jayhawks make it eight-straight years with a .500 winning percentage or better against regular-season nonconference foes. Since the start of the 2012 season, Kansas has posted an impressive 32-15-6 mark in its 53 regular-season nonconference matches (66%), which includes a 20-8-3 mark since 2014.
- Mark Francis has led KU to a winning record in noncon in 16 of his 17 seasons in Lawrence and is now 110-47-10 in regular-season nonconference games.
- Junior defender Kayla Morrison has now started 52-consecutive matches for the Jayhawks, the 11th-longest streak in program history.
- Kansas fell to No. 12 Southern California, 2-0, in Los Angeles on Friday. The match marked just the second time in their last 15 outings that the Jayhawks conceded more than one opponent goal.
- KU has already netted five goals within the opening 20 minutes of the match. Last year, the Jayhawks tallied a total of two goals prior to the 20th minute.
- Kansas is averaging 17.3 shots per match, the second-highest average by a KU squad after its first 10 match in the last 10 seasons.
- Following its match Sunday versus Pepperdine, KU has played 24 regular-season road games since the start of the 2014 season and has amassed a record of 12-9-3.
- The Jayhawks will open conference play this weekend when they welcome the Texas Tech Red Raiders to Rock Chalk Park. TTU has claimed each of the last four meetings with the Jayhawks, all by a score line of 1-0.
- The Jayhawks have seen some success in the opening weekends of conference play. Kansas has amassed a record of 10-6-1 (.618) in Big 12 home openers under Francis, an over 15 percent increase from its overall conference winning percentage of .493 since 1999.