RCW: Inside Soccer 3.6
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Following their win over Texas Tech Friday, the Jayhawks jumped 25 spots to No. 35 in the latest NCAA RPI rankings. This marks Kansas’ highest standing on the NCAA list since Nov. 10, 2014. The Big 12 currently features six of its nine teams in the top-50 of this week’s RPI.
- The Jayhawks defeated No. 25 Texas Tech, 2-1, in their Big 12 opener Friday night at Rock Chalk Park. The win marked KU’s first defeat of the Red Raiders in its last seven tries and gave the Jayhawks their first win over an NSCAA top-25 team since Aug. 31, 2014.
- The attendance at Rock Chalk Park Friday night was 1,617, a new program record for a home match.
- Sophomore Grace Hagan scored her fifth goal of the year and the eventual game-winner against the Red Raiders on a penalty kick in the 67th minute. Hagan has now posted a goal or an assist in five of her last six outings.
- The Jayhawks converted on two penalty kicks in the win. This marked the first time Kansas sent in a pair of PK’s in a match since Aug. 29, 2003.
- After 11 matches, the Jayhawks rank second in the Big 12 and 35th in the NCAA with their 17.3 shots per game.
- KU is now 11-6-1 in the 18 Big 12 home openers under head coach Mark Francis.
- KU has scored nine of its 14 goals in the first half. The Jayhawks netted a total of eight first-half goals in the entire season last year.
- Senior Tayler Estrada has now logged 5,825 career minutes, the 11th-most all-time among Jayhawk field players. She needs just 85 more minutes of field action to enter the school’s all-time top-10 list.
- The Jayhawks are now 6-1-1 in their last eight outings at Rock Chalk Park. In that span, KU has a goal differential of +5 and boasts a goals-against average of 0.59.
- After scoring just four times over its first five matches of the season (0.8 per match), the Kansas offense has netted 10 goals in its next six outings (1.7 per match).
- The Kansas defense has allowed one opponent goal or fewer in 13 of its last 15 outings dating back to last season.
- Kansas is leading the Big 12 with its 7.3 corner kicks per game. That figure also ranks sixth in the NCAA.
- The Jayhawks are now 48-8-6 since the start of 2012 in matches when they have scored at least one goal.
- Kansas will journey to the Lone Star State this weekend to take on the TCU Horned Frogs and the Texas Longhorns. The Jayhawks are 5-1-0 over the last two seasons inside the state of Texas.