RCW: Inside Soccer 3.7
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Since the start of the 2014 season, the Jayhawks have amassed a record of 13-4-1 against schools from the state of Texas. This mark includes a perfect 3-0-0 tally this year after Kansas opened Big 12 play with victories over Texas Tech, TCU and Texas.
- Last weekend the Jayhawks picked up a pair of Big 12 road wins with victories over TCU and Texas. Kansas has now been unbeaten in seven of its last eight outings.
- The two wins moved the Jayhawks to No. 25 in the latest RPI rankings released by the NCAA. That marks KU’s highest standing in the index since Nov. 3, 2014. The Big 12 currently features five teams among the top-50 of this week’s RPI and three squads among the top-25.
- In its 18 games against Texas schools since the start of 2014, Kansas is now 13-4-1, boasts a goal differential of +13 and a goals against average of 0.70.
- The Jayhawks will have an opportunity to post a perfect record against Texas schools for the first time in program history when Kansas takes on Baylor in Waco on Oct. 23.
- Junior Lois Heuchan netted two goals in KU’s win over TCU Friday night. Heuchan had gone more than 750 days since scoring her last goal, but sent in a pair within 45 minutes against the Horned Frogs.
- The Jayhawks are now a perfect 3-0-0 all-time on TCU’s home field at Garvey-Rosenthal Stadium. In the KU-TCU series, the home team has still never won on its home pitch.
- Freshman Katie McClure tallied her fourth goal of the year with less than five minutes remaining in regulation in KU’s win over Texas on Sunday. The strike was the latest goal by a Jayhawk this season.
- Senior Jackie Georgoulis notched her fifth assist of the season on the McClure game-winner. Georgoulis’ five helpers in 2016 surpass her career total from her first three seasons combined.
- Junior goalkeeper Maddie Dobyns tallied her third shutout of the season with the help of five saves in the Jayhawks’ win over the Longhorns. Dobyns now ranks fifth on KU’s all-time shutouts list with nine.
- After going winless in Austin during the first 16 years of the KU-UT series, the Jayhawks have now won back-to-back outings at Mike A. Myers Stadium. KU posted 1-0 wins against the Longhorns in 2014 and 2016.
- Since the start of 2014, the Jayhawks are 14-9-3 in regular-season matches away from Rock Chalk Park, this includes a 4-2-2 tally in road games this season.
- The Jayhawks are now unbeaten in 41-straight matches when they have scored the first goal of the contest. Since the start of the 2012 season, Kansas is 47-1-5 in matches when they open the scoring.
- Mark Francis is now just four wins shy of claiming his 200th career victory as the head coach of the Kansas program. Francis boasts an all-time record of 196-145-26 as the head man in Lawrence.
- The Jayhawks will welcome the No. 2-ranked West Virginia Mountaineers to Lawrence on Friday night for a 7 p.m., kickoff. The last time KU faced a top-10 opponent at home was Sept. 21, 2012, when the Jayhawks beat No. 7 Oklahoma State, 2-1.