RCW: A Look Back 3.19
As Kansas tennis prepares to host its first home match in its new indoor-outdoor facility, the Jayhawk Tennis Center at Rock Chalk Park, let’s take A Look Back at the original tennis courts on campus.
By 1931 the Kansas men’s tennis team had a span of at least seven courts at the south end of Memorial Stadium. The team competed outdoors only, on clay (or some other type of hard-surface) courts. This 1931 team photo shows the team on the court located at the southeast corner of Memorial Stadium (the rise of the stadium bleacher railing is visible behind the team).
The historic photo of Memorial Stadium (circa 1930s) shows seven visible tennis courts. The modern aerial image of the stadium (circa 2009) shows the addition of the video board, practice fields and Anderson Family Football Complex in the area of the old courts. The competition courts were removed from the vicinity of Memorial Stadium to a location near Allen Fieldhouse in the late 1950s or early 1960s.