RCW: Inside Baseball 3.24
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The number of days redshirt-junior right-handed pitcher Sean Rackoski had to wait to take the mound on opening day at the Citadel (Feb. 17) after suffering a season-ending injury in the final weekend of the 2016 preseason. Prior to that start against the Bulldogs, Rackoski last toed the rubber May 17, 2015, against Kansas State.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas won its 14th home opener in 15 seasons under head coach Ritch Price when the Jayhawks defeated Omaha, 11-1, Tuesday (Feb. 21) afternoon.
- With that win, Price (437-404-3) is two wins away from becoming the Jayhawks’ all-time winningest coach (Floyd Temple, 438).
- Under the direction of Price, KU holds a record of 17-2 in home games played in the month of February.
- All-time in the month of February, the Jayhawks are 134-103-1, with the first recorded contest played in the month coming on February 28, 1986, where the Jayhawks swept a doubleheader against Missouri Southern.
- Kansas started a season-high six freshmen in the lineup against Omaha (Feb. 21), with an additional three seeing action for a total of nine on the day.
- Freshman second baseman James Cosentino will always remember his first collegiate base hit as the rookie blasted a three-run bomb to help lead KU to victory on opening day at The Citadel (Feb. 17).
- Kansas is 75-50-3 all-time in season openers and 9-6 under the direction of Price.
- The Jayhawks have never played their opening day game at Hoglund Ballpark under Price, and haven’t played one since Feb. 12, 2002, when Kansas defeated Ottawa, 10-6, at home.
- Senior closer Stephen Villines iced The Citadel (Feb. 17) to pick up career save 27 and move into a tie for No. 2 all-time in career saves with Paul Smyth.
- Villines needs five more saves to become KU’s all-time saves leader, as Don Czyz (31) currently holds the top spot.