RCW: Inside Baseball 3.25
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Head coach Ritch Price is just two wins away from becoming KU’s all-time winningest coach (Floyd Temple, 438) as he has amassed 437 victories at the helm of the Jayhawk program.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas’ all-time record: 1,857-1,790-18 (.509).
- Head coach Ritch Price’s record in Division I: 653-637-4 (.506)
- Price is the most tenured head coach in the Big 12 Conference as he is coaching in his 15th season with the Jayhawks. TCU’s Jim Schlossnagle and K-State’s Brad Hill are second on the list, as both are in their 14th season. In addition, Price has coached in more Big 12 contests than any other active skipper in the league (357).
- Under Price, the Jayhawks have won 21 series in the month of March, and look to continue that success as they play host to Northwestern State March 3-5.
- All 10 freshmen on Price’s active roster have found their way onto the field in KU’s first four contests. In fact, all 14 newcomers have made an appearance thus far in the season, accounting for 37.5 percent (30-of-80) of the Jayhawks’ starts (including DH).
- Sophomore outfielder Devin Foyle has reached base safely in all eight contests, and leads the team with a .500 on-base percentage
- Junior shortstop Matt McLaughlin is riding a three-game hitting streak, and during that span is batting .545 (6-for-11) with one double, one triple and a .615 on-base percentage.
- Junior lefty Blake Weiman has been a staple out of the KU bullpen, making five appearances and throwing six and 2/3 innings. He has struck out seven batters and only allowed one earned run for a 1.35 ERA.