RCW: Inside Baseball 3.32
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas closer Stephen Villines has converted six-straight save attempts en route to helping Kansas to a 7-3 record in the month of April. During the streak, Villines has thrown seven innings, allowed six hits, one run and struck out 11 batters for a 1.29 ERA.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas’ an all-time record: 1,872-1802-18 (.510).
- The Jayhawks hold a 673-1,045-4 (.392) clip in conference play, including a 192-349-1 (.355) mark in Big 12 action.
- KU owns a .470 (599-677-6) winning percentage all-time in the month of April in program history.
- Kansas is coming off one of its best weeks of the season after posting a 3-1 record in four games with a victory over Wichita State (April 11) and a series win against Oklahoma State (April 13-15).
- The Jayhawks last posted a 3-1 record during week four of the season after they defeated Omaha (March 8) and took two out of three games against Houston Baptist (March 10-12).
- Freshman second baseman James Cosentino was named the Big 12 Conference’s Co-Newcomer of the Week after posting a .417 batting average in four games against Wichita State and Oklahoma State.
- Sophomore righty Jackson Goddard struck out a career-high 13 batters against Oklahoma State (April 15) en route to his third win of the season.
- Since Big 12 play started in 1997, Kansas has only started league play 6-6 or better in seven of those season – this is the 21st season of Big 12 baseball – and advanced to the NCAA Tournament in three of those years.
- Kansas heads to Wichita State (April 19) to try and sweep the two-game season series against the Shockers, before heading down to Norman, Oklahoma, for a three-game conference matchup against the Sooners.
- KU picked up its eighth win in the last 10 games played against Wichita State on April 11, when it defeated the Shockers, 8-6, at Hoglund Ballpark.
- Since 2009, Kansas has won 12 of the 16 games played against Wichita State, including a streak of seven-straight from April 30, 2013, to April 19, 2016.
- Since 2009, the Jayhawks have only lost three games played at Eck Stadium while winning five others.
- Oklahoma is one spot ahead of Kansas in the Big 12 standings, coming in at No. 4.
- Kansas holds a record of 92-161-1 against the Sooners all-time, but hasn’t won a series in Norman since 2009.
- The Jayhawks’ last overall series win against OU came last year, when they swept a Saturday doubleheader (April 30).