RCW: Inside Baseball 3.33
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas sophomore centerfielder Rudy Karre has been hit by 20 pitches on the season, ranking him second in that category in the NCAA. Only one guy in Jayhawk history has worn more pitches in a single season, and that belongs to Casey Lytle, who was plunked 22 times in 2010.
Schedule UPCOMING HOME GAMES
Tickets Baylor (April 28)
Tickets Baylor (April 29)
Tickets Baylor (April 30)
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas’ an all-time record: 1,875-1804-18 (.510).
- The Jayhawks hold a 675-1,046-4 (.393) clip in conference play, including a 194-350-1 (.357) mark in Big 12 action.
- KU owns a .470 (601-679-6) winning percentage all-time in the month of April in program history.
- Kansas defeated Grand Canyon Tuesday night (April 25) to mark its 10th win in the last 15 games dating back to April 1 – a record of 10-5 in the month of April.
- Since 2014, Kansas and Grand Canyon have met at least once in each season playing six games during the span.
- Kansas is 3-2-1 in those six games, splitting two, two-game series in Lawrence (2014) and in Phoenix (2015), playing to a 5-5 tie in 2016 in 10 innings and then winning game one of a two-game set at Brazell Stadium in 2017 – game two to be played Wednesday, April 26.
- The Jayhawks are coming off a weekend series win at then-No. 19 Oklahoma marking their second-straight conference series win and third of the season.
- That series win against a top-25 opponent was a first since defeating then-No. 9 Oklahoma State in Lawrence two games to one in 2015 and the first on the road since opening Big 12 play with a series win at then-No. 10 Texas in 2014.
- The back-to-back conference series wins vs. Oklahoma State and at Oklahoma marks a first for a KU team since sweeping three-straight league opponents to close out Big 12 play in 2014.
- With that series win against the Sooners and a game one midweek victory at Grand Canyon, KU’s RPI has jumped to No. 64 – up 27 spots from last week with seven games remaining against top-20 RPI teams (No. 15 Baylor ; No. 13 Missouri State ; and No. 6 Texas Tech ).
- Senior closer Stephen Villines is the active career saves leader in the NCAA tied with Gearge Washington’s Eddie Muhle with 37 and is the only Power Five closer in the top-10.
- Villines’ 37 saves also ranks tied for second all-time in the Big 12 with UT’s Corey Knebel (2011-13) – another Longhorn holds the top spot at 41 (Huston Street, 200-04).
- Junior shortstop Matt McLaughlin was named to the 2017 Brooks Wallace Award Midseason Watch List given annually since 2004 to the nation’s best shortstop.
- Kansas returns to Big 12 play when it hosts the Baylor Bears April 28-30 at Hoglund Ballpark.
- The Jayhawks hold an all-time record of 18-50 against BU, but have won two out of the last three series against the Bears played in Lawrence.