RCW: Inside Baseball 3.35
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas skipper Ritch Price holds the title of the most tenured coach in the Big 12 Conference with 10 more years of experience than more than half of the league’s head coaches.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas’ an all-time record: 1,884-1,810-18 (.510).
- The Jayhawks hold a 678-1,052-4 (.392) clip in conference play, including a 197-356-1 (.357) mark in Big 12 action.
- KU owns a .457 (374-444-4) winning percentage all-time in the month of May in program history.
- Kansas punched its ticket to the Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship for the first time since 2014 with a series win over in-state rival K-State in the annual Dillons Sunflower Showdown and enters as the No. 7 seed.
- The Jayhawks hold an overall record of 16-33 in conference tournament play and a mark of 8-15 in the Big 12 Baseball Championship.
- KU holds one conference tournament title in the history of the program, and that came in 2006 when the Jayhawks posted a perfect 4-0 record in the tournament, defeating then-No. 14 Nebraska, 9-7, in the championship game.
- Kansas and TCU have met just one time in conference tournament play with KU wining that 2013 matchup, 4-0.
- The Jayhawks have played the 14th-toughest schedule in the NCAA that also ranks second toughest in the Big 12 behind Oklahoma State (2nd).
- Kansas has played the most games (24) in the NCAA against top-25 RPI teams.
- Fifteen of KU’s 26 losses came against NCAA top-25 RPI teams.
- Kansas has won seven three-plus-game series on the season – four in Big 12 play – marking the most won in a season since 2014 when the Jayhawks claimed victories in eight series of three or more games.
- Senior closer Stephen Villines was named to the All-Big 12 First Team, marking the fifth-straight year a Jayhawk earned that recognition dating back to 2013.
- Freshman second baseman James Cosentino picked up All-Big 12 Second Team honors and was named to the All-Big 12 Freshman Team.
- Sophomores Jackson Goddard and Rudy Karre, and juniors Matt McLaughlin, Taylor Turski and Blake Weiman were named to the All-Big 12 Honorable Mention team.
- Villines is one save away from tying the Big 12 career saves record held by Major Leaguer Huston Street (Texas, 2002-04) at 41.
- Head coach Ritch Price is the most tenured skipper in the Big 12 Conference as he has coached 381 league games – 23 more than any other current coach.