RCW: Inside Cross Country 3.11
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Sophomore All-American Sharon Lokedi placed first overall at the Big 12 Championship. Her victory marks the first individual league title in the KU women’s program’s history.
Notes QUICK HITS
- On Saturday, Oct. 29, the Kansas men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the Big 12 Championship meet in Lubbock, Texas.
- Sharon Lokedi earned an individual championship title after completing her 6K race with a time of 20:18.5. She crossed the finish line 14 seconds ahead of the next finisher.
- The women’s team accumulated 129 points, earning them a sixth-place team finish.
- Senior Hannah Richardson placed in the top-20, clocking a time of 21:22.0, good enough for 19th overall.
- Other Jayhawk women to score included: junior Lydia Saggau (21:41.4) in 31st, senior Malika Baker (21:49.9) finishing 33rd and senior Jennifer Angles (22:17.9) who placed 46th overall.
- The men’s team amassed 104 points, placing fourth overall. This was the fourth time in the past five years that the men have placed in the top-five.
- Senior James Hampton posted a 14th-place finish and received All-Big 12 honors for the first time in his career. He ran the 8K course in 26:01.5.
- Junior Chris Melgares (26:04.4) and sophomore Michael Melgares (26:06.6) placed in the top-20 on the men’s side, finishing 17th and 19th, respectively
- The men’s top-five runners all placed in the top-35.
- Rounding out the men’s scorers were: sophomore Dylan Hodgson (26:13.6) placing 22nd and senior Daniel Koech (26:33.6), who came in 32nd overall.
- Both teams shift their focus to the NCAA Midwest Regional Championships on Friday, Nov. 11 in Iowa City, Iowa. The women’s 6K will begin at 11 a.m., and the men’s 10K will start at noon.