RCW: Inside Cross Country 3.13
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Sophomore Sharon Lokedi claimed second place at the NCAA Midwest Regional meet last week. The finish earned her a bid to the NCAA Championships to be held this Saturday in Terre Haute, Indiana.
Notes QUICK HITS
- The Kansas men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the NCAA Midwest Regional meet Friday, Nov. 11, in Iowa City, Iowa.
- The women’s team tallied 154 points and placed fifth out of 33 teams. This was the second-straight year the KU women have been in the top-five at the regional race.
- The men’s team compiled 233 points, placing eighth as a team.
- Lokedi’s finish marked the best by a KU female at the regional meet since 1994 when KU runner Melissa Swartz also claimed second place.
- Top-20 performances by Lokedi, Hannah Richardson and Malika Baker earned the trio All-Region honors. This was the first time in the Stanley Redwine era (since 2000) that three Kansas women received All-Region accolades.
- Richardson’s 11th-place finish matched her career best at the regional meet. She completed the race in 20:30.2.
- With a 6K time of 20:44.2, Baker’s 19th-place finish marked her best career performance at the Regional Championships.
- Rounding out the top-five for the women scorers were junior Lydia Saggau (21:16.4) in 48th and junior Hannah Dimmick (21:40.5) in 76th.
- Sophomore Michael Melgares led the men’s team for the first time in his career. He was the first Jayhawk to cross the finish line, completing the 10K in 31:00.3.
- Other Jayhawk scorers included: Junior Chris Melgares in 35th with a time of 31:03.0; senior James Hampton in 49th, clocking a time of 31:17.2; sophomore Dylan Hodgson (31:32.6) placing 60th and senior Daniel Koech, who finished 65th with a time of 31:35.2.
- Lokedi will spend this week preparing for the NCAA Championships on Saturday, Nov. 19, in Terre Haute, Indiana. She will compete in the women’s 6K race that begins at 10 a.m. (CT).