RCW: Inside Cross Country 3.3
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The Kansas men and women’s cross country teams had a total of 11 runners finish in the top 10 at the season-opening Bob Timmons Dual Classic Saturday morning in Lawrence.
UPCOMING HOME MEETS
Rim Rock Classic (Oct. 1)
Notes QUICK HITS
- Last weekend, the Kansas cross country teams kicked off their 2016 season by sweeping their opponents (Kansas Wesleyan, Oral Roberts and UMKC) at the Timmons Duals.
- Junior Hannah Dimmick placed first overall for the KU women, completing the 5K race in a time of 18:21.82.
- Five other Jayhawk women finished in the top seven: sophomore Riley Cooney (second place, 18:27.86), senior Jennifer Angles (third place, 18:30.55), junior Grace Morgan (fifth place, 18:51.8), sophomore Emmie Skopec (sixth place, 18:54.8) and senior Rachel Simon (seventh place, 19:13.0).
- This was the second year in a row the women swept the dual meet in their season debut.
- Redshirt freshman Bryce Richards led the men’s team, placing second overall behind only former KU runner Jacob Morgan, who ran unattached. Richards completed the 6K in a time of 19:31.59.
- The Kansas men also claimed third, fourth and fifth overall with sophomore Michael Melgares (19:40.86), junior Carson Vickroy (19:42.05), and freshman Avery Hale (19:43.49).
- Other Jayhawk men to score included: senior Jacob Ryan (19:59.7) placing ninth, junior Adel Yoonis (20:08.6) claiming 11th, sophomore Ryan Liston (20:11.4) in 13th, senior Markeen Caine (20:42.2) at 17th and junior Jack McDonald, who ran his 6K in 20:56.7 for a 19th-place finish.
- Both teams have nearly a month off before their next meet. The Rim Rock Classic brings the Jayhawks back to their home turf, and is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 1 at 9 a.m.