RCW: Inside Men's Basketball 3.14
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas head coach Bill Self is two wins shy of his 600th career victory. Self is 598-189 in his 24th season overall, which includes a 391-84 record in his 14th season at Kansas.
Notes QUICK HITS
- After scoring his career-high 23 points on 9-for-9 shooting against Long Beach State (11/29), sophomore guard Lagerald Vick is now averaging 19.0 points in his last two games and is 15-for-16 from the field in that span. Included are seven 3-pointers.
- Senior guard Frank Mason III’s eight assists against Long Beach State (11/29) were one off his career high. Mason ranks 13th on the KU career assists list at 427 and 32nd on the KU career scoring list with 1,269 points. He is one of seven players in school history to rank that high in both career assists and career points.
- Freshman guard Josh Jackson has been named the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week each of the last two weeks. In earning his most recent honor, Jackson was named the Most Valuable Player at the CBE Hall of Fame Classic, Nov. 21-22.
- Freshman center Udoka Azubuike has led KU in rebounds three times this season, including seven against Long Beach State (11/29).
- Kansas’ Dec. 3 game against Stanford will mark the return of KU great Jerod Haase, who coaches the Cardinal. Haase was a guard at KU from 1995-97 and led KU in 3-point field goal percentage in 1995 and 1996.