RCW: Inside Men's Basketball 3.18
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
With its 85-68 win against Texas Tech on Jan. 7, Kansas earned its 2,200th all-time victory. KU is only the second NCAA Division I school to accomplish the feat.
Notes QUICK HITS
- With its 81-70 win at Oklahoma on Jan. 10, Bill Self became the third coach in Kansas men’s basketball history to win 400 games while at KU. Self joins Phog Allen (1907-09; 1919-56) who went 590-219 and Roy Williams (1989-2003) who posted a 418-101 record.
- Kansas’ 54 points in the second half at Oklahoma (1/10) marked the fifth time this season the Jayhawks have scored 50 or more in a half.
- Through only four league games, at 4-0 Kansas is the only undefeated team in Big 12 play.
- Senior G Frank Mason III is making a solid case for national player of the year honors for the second-ranked Jayhawks. Mason leads the Big 12 in scoring at 20.4 points per game. The two-time Big 12 Player of the Week and one-time national player of the week has scored 20 or more points in nine games this season, including each of his last two and three of his last four outings.
- With his 28 points at Oklahoma (1/10), Mason passed KU legend Wilt Chamberlain (1,433) on the Kansas career scoring list. Mason’s 1,459 points are 24th on the list.
- Freshman G Josh Jackson continues to lead the Big 12 freshman class with his 15.4 scoring average, which ranks sixth overall in the conference. Jackson leads Kansas with 22 blocked shots and has 24 steals which is second on the team behind junior G Devonte’ Graham’s 25.