RCW: Inside Men's Basketball 3.20
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Senior Frank Mason III became the 21st player in Kansas men’s basketball history to score 1,500 career points. Mason currently ranks 19th on the KU all-time scoring list with 1,529 points.
- The Kansas duo of Frank Mason III and Josh Jackson were named to national midseason lists by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA). Mason is one of 19 named to the Oscar Robertson Trophy midseason watch list for the national player of the year. Jackson is one of 12 on the Wayman Tisdale Award watch list for the national freshman of the year.
- Jackson’s 22 points at West Virginia (1/24) marked his fifth 20-point effort of the season. He ranks eighth in the Big 12 in scoring at 15.5 points per game, which leads the conference’s freshman class.
- Mason continues to lead the Big 12 in scoring at 19.9 points per game. Mason’s 52.8 3-point field goal percentage is also tops in the league.
- With Kansas’ loss at West Virginia (1/24), the 2002 Jayhawks remain the only team in the 21-year history of the Big 12 Conference to go undefeated in league play. KU went 16-0 in 2002 and would later advance to the Final Four in Atlanta.
- When Kansas and Kentucky face each other in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge on Saturday, Jan. 28, the game will pit the top-two winningest programs in NCAA Division I history against one another. Kentucky ranks first with 2,222 wins while Kansas is second at 2,204 all-time victories.