RCW: Inside Men's Golf 3.8
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The number of team titles won by the Kansas men’s golf team this season. The Jayhawks set the school standard last season with four event victories and through four events this season, KU is already halfway to equaling that mark.
Notes QUICK HITS
- The Jayhawks stormed out to a nine-stroke lead after the first round of the 2016 Bayou City Collegiate Classic and never relinquished the lead against the 13-team field.
- The final margin of victory by KU at the Bayou City Collegiate Classic was 17 strokes, which marked the largest win by the Jayhawks since the 2006 Kansas Invitational. In September of that year, Gary Woodland led Kansas to a 20-stroke victory over Iowa State and Nebraska.
- Sophomore Charlie Hillier tied for runner-up at the event with a 6-under 210. He opened with a career-best-tying 67 in the first round to set the tone for his first top-5 finish of the season and the fourth of his career.
- Joining Hillier in the top-5 were sophomore Jake Scarrow (4th) and senior Chase Hanna (T5th). In just his second event with the Jayhawks, Scarrow shot his best round at KU with a 69 in the second. He also finished with his best three-round score (213) with KU.
- Hanna collected his second-straight top-5 finish of the season and his sixth overall. He has been even par or better in each of the four events the season.
- In the second round, every Jayhawk in the lineup shot even par or better.
- The Jayhawks collected three more eagles with Hanna, Hillier and Alex Moorman, who played as an individual, each recording one.
- Scarrow was second in the event for total birdies with 13, while Hanna led the field with 39 pars.