RCW: Inside Soccer 3.2
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Over its first two weekends of regular-season play, the Kansas soccer team has added to an already impressive four-year streak. Since the end of the 2012 season, the Jayhawks have not lost a match in which they have scored the game’s first goal. With their draw against South Dakota State Sunday, the Jayhawks were unbeaten for the 38th-straight contest in which they were the first to score.
- After falling in the season-opener to Minnesota on Aug. 18, the Jayhawks have been unbeaten in the three matches since, rattling off 1-0 wins over Marquette and Colorado, before drawing with South Dakota State Sunday, 1-1.
- All four of the Jayhawks’ three goals this season have come off the feet of underclassmen. Sophomore Grace Hagan and freshman Katie McClure have sent in a goal apiece, while freshman Mandi Duggan has netted a pair.
- Just four games into the season, the KU defense has already turned in an impressive opponent scoreless streak. The Jayhawks went over 282 minutes without conceding a goal from Aug. 19-Aug.28, which marked KU’s fourth shutout streak of 280 minutes or more since the start of the 2014 season.
- Junior goalkeeper Maddie Dobyns collected a career-high eight saves in the Jayhawks’ 1-0 win over Colorado Friday. The career effort also earned her the eighth shutout of her career.
- Kansas is boasting a goals-against average of 0.71 after its first four contests of the season. Over the last three years the Jayhawks have combined for a GAA of 0.95.
- The Jayhawks are averaging 18 shots per game this season, the fourth-highest mark among Big 12 teams this year.
- KU has been awarded 34 corner kicks in its four matches this season, the highest figure in the Big 12 Conference. If Kansas continues this 8.5 corners per game pace, the Jayhawks would tally over 150 corner kicks in the regular season. The program record is 128 (in 2005).
- Kansas concluded the month of August with a 2-1-1 record and now boasts an 18-6-2 record in the eighth month of the year since the 2011 season. This includes an 8-2-2 mark in August over the last two seasons.
- The Jayhawks will meet former Big 12 rival Nebraska this weekend in Lincoln. The Jayhawks and Huskers have met 21 times previously with Nebraska claiming each of the last four encounters.
- Since the start of the 2014 season, Kansas is 10-7-2 in true road games, which included a 5-5-1 record last year. Seven of Kansas’ next nine matches are away from the friendly confines of Rock Chalk Park.