RCW: Inside Softball 3.24
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Redshirt freshman Ania Williams allowed one hit in a complete-game shutout over South Carolina State on February 18, and was just one out away from completing the 27th no hitter in Kansas softball history when a pitch that looked to have been foul tipped was ruled a dropped third strike and the batter made it safely to first. The next Bulldog batter proceeded to spoil Williams’ no-no with a single to left field before the Spring, Texas product retired the next batter for the 8-0 victory.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas softball played five games in the span of 40.5 hours from February 17-19 as part of the Osprey Invitational in Jacksonville, Florida, hosted by the University of North Florida. The Jayhawks finished the weekend with a 2-3 record, but saw stellar pitching performances from a number of underclassmen.
- In the second game of the weekend, freshman Mandy Roberts posted a career-high six strikeouts in 4 2/3 innings of work in a relief appearance against North Florida, but the Jayhawks fell in 10 innings to the Ospreys, 8-6.
- Williams’ one-hit performance came on Saturday in the third game of the weekend. She recorded seven strikeouts in her five innings of work, which tied a career high set on February 26, 2016 against Wisconsin.
- Immediately following the one-hitter from Williams, sophomore Alexis Reid tossed her second-career complete-game shutout in a 4-0 victory over Eastern Illinois. Reid recorded six strikeouts for the second time this season and third in her career, allowing just three hits and one walk.
- Roberts enjoyed another successful outing in the weekend finale against South Dakota State. In her third relief appearance of the weekend, Roberts worked a career-high five innings allowing just one run with three strikeouts.