RCW: Inside Softball 3.28
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas softball ended the 2017 Rock Chalk Challenge with a pair of walk-off winners, including a three-run home run from freshman Madison Sykes against Southeast Missouri State.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas softball went 3-2 in its final nonconference tournament of the 2017 season and improved to 18-11 on the year. After back-to-back home tournaments, the Jayhawks move to 6-2 when playing at Arrocha Ballpark in 2017.
- The Jayhawks hit .356 over the last five games and recorded nine doubles, five home runs and 23 RBIs. Six KU starters hit above .300 during the Rock Chalk Challenge.
- Junior Jessie Roane led KU with eight hits last weekend, including five doubles, for a .421 batting average. She drove in two runs and registered a .684 slugging percentage.
- Roane has hit 10 doubles during her junior campaign, which is tied for the second-most doubles recorded by anyone in the Big 12 Conference this season.
- Against Southeast Missouri State, freshman Madison Sykes completed the come-from-behind rally for the Jayhawks with a three-run homer, her second career long ball. Sykes’ three RBIs were among a six-run rally by KU to defeat the Redhawks, 6-5.
- Kansas ended the Rock Chalk Challenge with a 12-4 run-rule victory over Omaha. KU recorded a season-high 16 hits against the Mavericks.
- Senior infielder Taylor Dodson hit her sixth home run of the season last weekend. She ranks third in the Big 12 in long balls hit this season, just two behind the leader.
- The Jayhawks hosted No. 12 LSU over the weekend, marking the first nationally-ranked opponent to visit Arrocha Ballpark this season. KU is 0-2 against teams in the top 25 polls in 2017.