RCW: Inside Softball 3.29
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Kansas defeated No. 14 Baylor on Saturday afternoon, marking the eighth year in a row that the Jayhawks have knocked off at least one nationally-ranked opponent.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Kansas went 1-3 on the week after a midweek matchup with SIU-Edwardsville and a three-game series with Baylor. KU enters the eighth week of the 2017 campaign with a 19-14 overall mark and a 1-2 Big 12 record.
- The Jayhawks’ win over No. 14 Baylor is the first victory over a ranked opponent this season. Kansas improved to 1-2 against foes in the national rankings.
- KU’s walk-off victory against the Lady Bears also snapped a 10-game losing skid. Kansas’ last win against BU came during the 2013 season.
- The win over Baylor was the second time in the last three seasons that Kansas has defeated a nationally-ranked team during its ‘Jayhawks for a Cure’ game, which raises awareness for kidney cancer.
- Junior outfielder Erin McGinley hit a walk-off home run in the 10th inning, lifting Kansas past the Lady Bears in the second game of the series and giving KU its first extra-inning win of the year.
- Sophomore Alexis Reid earned the win in the circle against Baylor. She now has victories against two ranked opponents in her career. As a freshman, she defeated nationally-ranked Oklahoma on the road.
- Sophomore Emily Bermel has led the team with a .375 batting average over the last four games.
- McGinley led the squad with five hits, including two for extra bases, in the four games played last week.