RCW: Inside Swimming & Diving 3.20
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
Eight pool records were broken by the Kansas swimming team at the Mabee Center in Liberty, Missouri on Thursday, January 19. In a dual meet against William Jewell, the Jayhawks cruised to a 124-74 victory, rewriting the pool’s record books in the process.
Notes QUICK HITS
- Sammie Schurig broke two Mabee Center pool records, including one set in 1981 with her 2:04.55 400-meter freestyle. She also set the 200-meter freestyle record with a time of 2:04.55.
- Elizabeth Amato-Hanner, Haley Downey, Yulduz Kuchkarova and Haley Bishop combined for a Mabee Center-record-breaking 1:58.26 swim in the 200-meter medley relay.
- Jenny Nusbaum set a pool record with her 9:03.15 800-meter freestyle, breaking former Kansas swimmer Lindsay Manning’s time from 2015.
- Libby Walker raced to a 4:55.97 400-meter individual medley to break the pool’s record set in 2014, shaving nearly five seconds off the previous-best time.
- Kuchkarova added her name to the record books again with an individual record in the 100-meter freestyle, swimming 57.16.
- Amato-Hanner cruised to a 1:04.36 100-meter backstroke, beating teammate Hannah Angell’s record-breaking time set in 2015.
- Bishop, Carly Straight, Leah Pfitzer and Kuchkarova teamed up to take down the team’s eighth pool record Thursday night, recording a 1:46.14 in the 200-meter freestyle relay.